Marmot hunting in the high Rockies

coldboremiracle

One of my favorite hunts is shooting marmots around the tree line, hope you guys enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed shootin em.

One of my favorite hunts is shooting marmots around the tree line, hope you guys enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed shootin em.

Now that there are some real "Rock Chucks".
I have mostly hunted Chucks in farmer's hay fields and hedge rows. Made many a trips in NE PA.

So why do you shoot them? Do you eat them?
Yes the young chucks are good in a "InstaPot" with vegetables and seasons. Another reason to keep the (wood Chuck/Ground hog population down is because they dig many holes in the hay fields. These holes destroy farmers's tractors and hay equipment. Never had a farmer deny us hunting Chucks on their properties for over 50 years. In fact they welcome us to remove the chucks and also tell us if you shoot them you can also come back in Deer season and hunt their property.

I thought that marmots were protected, so I'm surprised to hear of someone shooting them near treeline for fun.

What does marmot meat compare to? If there is open season on them, I'm going to have to go get one and cook it up!

I thought that marmots were protected, so I'm surprised to hear of someone shooting them near treeline for fun.

What does marmot meat compare to? If there is open season on them, I'm going to have to go get one and cook it up!
You would have to check your local game laws on Chuck Hunting. There are regulations in some states on "Seasons".

We would have "GAME DINNERS" at Sportsman clubs and would always bring in a few Crock Pot Chucks. If you cook them with veggies and some seasonings they taste like lean beef. I found the Crock Pot or even better an Insta Pot to cook them.

Great hunting them. May spend one day if a large field and shoot 20 of go to 20 fields to shoot 1.
Most everyone I hunted with used a 22-250, but I used a .240 Ruger since 2004. Longest shots were 500 yds with H-4895 and 39gr SBK.
A lot more fun than PD Hunting!

Last edited:
You would have to check your local game laws on Chuck Hunting. There are regulations in some states on "Seasons".

We would have "GAME DINNERS" at Sportsman clubs and would always bring in a few Crock Pot Chucks. If you cook them with veggies and some seasonings they taste like lean beef. I found the Crock Pot or even better an Insta Pot to cook them.
^this.

I have found them to be very similar in flavor to venison, though they can be pretty tough so the crockpot is probably the best way. I have noticed some of the big boar chucks are pretty stinky, and that can make them taste less than ideal.

^this.

I have found them to be very similar in flavor to venison, though they can be pretty tough so the crockpot is probably the best way. I have noticed some of the big boar chucks are pretty stinky, and that can make them taste less than ideal.
We only took the young ones from the beginning of the year.