mark V poor groups

sodwyer

I repaced my wood stock on my mkV sporter with a bell and carlson medelist. I am having a hard time getting it to group. two out of five shots always tight somtimes three but always at least two flyers. wondering if a skim bed will improve this problem? Also weatherby has a pressure point on the front of the factory stock and I am now free floating could this have an effect? this gun has a weatherby#2contour barrel I have rechecked my scope mounts all good any thoughts? scope is a 2year old VXIII 6.5x20x50

Caliber?

Without seeing the rifle I'll suggest that skim bedding it will probably improve what you're getting, assuming it's not due to technique, scope issues, ammo issues or the barrel heating up. Our 7mm Wby rifles with sporter barrels will do great for the first couple of shots but then at least 2 of them start to walk as the barrel heats up. Both are skim bedded and free floated with good scopes.

FYI the latest B&C we just purchased had quite the "tip up" at the end of the forearm, and there was no way the action would have set in the stock if I hadn't sanded it out with more than just the barrel pads being removed. Be sure your action is fitting somewhat close, but again bedding it will help.

Decided to bed my B&C stock this week end with devcon. wow its a different rifle it improved the group dramaticly the gun even seems to recoil differently with less barrel jump. I think with a little more load tuneing I will have it beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts