March 3-24 x 52 vs Schmidt Bender PM II 3-20 x 50

treillw

Here is a matchup that I've yet to see. I'm running out of time to pick a scope for my new hunting rifle. The rifle is going to be a .300 win mag bolt gun weighing around 7 pounds. As you can see from my excel sheet below, I've been looking at **** near every scope made trying to find something that fits my criteria. I'd like FFP, wide FOV at low power, and the option of being able to crank up the magnification for long range shots. The reticle needs to be visible on 3x and not a match stick on high power. The candidates that I like the most are towards the top of the list. I originally started off my scope journey looking at march scopes, but then read some things about them that made me go away from them to see what else was out there. I just now came back to them and on paper, it's pretty much everything that I'm looking for. The reticle design even looks pretty awesome too. How durable is this March?

Before half an hour ago, I was pretty much set on the PM II 3-20, but on paper the March seems superior. Which scope of these two do you think is better? Why?

Thanks.

Did you check out PrecisionRifleBlog.com ? He did a very good test comparison on a bunch of high end scopes. The March He tested was a 3-24x42 but I would think it would still be a great help.

Did you check out PrecisionRifleBlog.com ? He did a very good test comparison on a bunch of high end scopes. The March He tested was a 3-24x42 but I would think it would still be a great help.

No, I did not, but I will. Thanks for the heads up!

morning, no Nikon's, no Bushnell's, no Huskaquara. money does not buy quality. the old redfield 5 star is a very good scope. all top end prices??

Nikons have a no fault warranty. that's all I shoot. just poop for thought.lightbulb

morning, no Nikon's, no Bushnell's, no Huskaquara. money does not buy quality. the old redfield 5 star is a very good scope. all top end prices??

Nikons have a no fault warranty. that's all I shoot. just poop for thought.lightbulb

I didn't intentionally base the list off of high end optics. My #1 criteria is a wide FOV at low power and high magnification on the top end (~3-20 range). If I missed anything, I'm happy to hear suggestions! :D Looking for FFP only.

I have a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 that I like very much. These scopes had some issues when they first came out but they have been fixed. Steiner has a lifetime unconditional warranty and the scopes are made and serviced here in the states. Which was a big plus to me. [You can call Steiner and actually talk to a person]
In my experience it does not matter how much you pay for something or if it was supposed to be the very best product out there things still break and have issues.
My point being service and how you have to go about getting things fixed are a huge factor in everything I buy.

Is there anybody in PA that has the 3-24x52 March with the FMA-1 or FMA-2 reticle that I could check it out before I purchase one?

Thanks!

Is there anybody in PA that has the 3-24x52 March with the FMA-1 or FMA-2 reticle that I could check it out before I purchase one?

Thanks!

I bought a March from Kelbly's but had not been able to look through one. They said I could send it back as long as it was not mounted and in same new condition when returned. That may be your only way to look through one, but about the only thing you risk is shipping cost, which is a small thing when trying to find the ideal scope.

I couldn't be happier with my choice. I looked at just about everything but the March had the right combination of attributes that I was looking for.

I have and have looked threw alot of optics.But I do not have a S&B to compare to.As mainly a hiker I favor lighter weight scopes,but have some that are heavier.I think the March is expensive for what it is.I do a lot of mountain hunting and I find I dont go past 20 x very rare has to be just right for the higher powers to shoot and see well.The parallax gets a bit finicky past 20 x.I do like the 3x low end and I have the F1 ,which is dot center on a hash type mil ret. It is heaver on max than a Leo Mark 4 TMR,which I really like.But I like it for hunting,I only have a about 40 field days on this scope but I like it.I love the low profile front turret as I front carry and run binos off shoulder pack straps.Clicks are good.I also think the Leo V6 3-18 are a nice optic that is of lighter weight.In a heavier I would consider the Kahls 6-24x56 but this would not be for a packer.

I bought a March from Kelbly's but had not been able to look through one. They said I could send it back as long as it was not mounted and in same new condition when returned. That may be your only way to look through one, but about the only thing you risk is shipping cost, which is a small thing when trying to find the ideal scope.

I couldn't be happier with my choice. I looked at just about everything but the March had the right combination of attributes that I was looking for.

Bullets.com doesn't let you return them. Once you order them, they are yours. It's garbage IMO.

It does have a lot of awesome attributes, only a few things I wish were different about it.

I am looking for the exact same features in a scope. Unfortunately there isn't much for the higher end stuff. I can't even find a burris xtr 2 to look through. I was also wondering why the xtr 2 4-20 didn't make your list. I have heard or read they are good but have not seen one and would like to know where they fit in all this. I did get to check out the nf 4-16 f1 enhanced. Pretty nice but a little more than I want to spend unless I get a used one. No vx-6 lupes around either. Swaro z5 3-18 pretty darn nice but don't know if a 1 inch tube is going to cut it. ffp has to have illum or you are never going to see it on low power. I like your chart and hope something pops up to help decide.

I didn't intentionally base the list off of high end optics. My #1 criteria is a wide FOV at low power and high magnification on the top end (~3-20 range). If I missed anything, I'm happy to hear suggestions! :D Looking for FFP only.

FOV is purly a math thing. I am pretty sure that two different scopes with the same specs will have the same FOV.

Image and tracking (and, I guess,warranty) is what it is all about.

Tod

I ended up going with the March 3-24x52. I had it shipped directly to my gunsmith to save on shipping costs, although I really wanted to play with it before giving it to him - so I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. The rifle is supposed to be here in two weeks and then I'll be able to see how everything came together.

I don't remember everything I wrote in this thread previously and I didn't reread it just now, but I chose to go with the March because they had an MOA reticle and it saved me something like a pound and a half on the rifle weight. (The S&B itself is only a few ounces heavier, but because of the illumination knob on the side of the tube and long taper on the front of the scope there isn't much room to put the scope rings. Therefore I would have to go with a full length top rail on my action. I planned on going with a defiance deviant ultralight, but would have to use a deviant tactical with the S&B. Add all that weight difference up and it turned out to be pretty substantial.)

If it wouldn't be for those things, I probably would have gone mit das Schmidt und Bender. I probably could have learned to live with the mils, but I can't justify adding all that weight without a terribly good reason.

Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.