Manufacturing muzzle brakes

Jsaum

All,

I'd like to get your thoughts on muzzle brakes. I am going to start my own line of muzzle brakes and would like to know....

1. Material you'd like to see. Titanium, stainless, steel, 7075 aluminum.... thoughts?

2. Diameters you currently buy or use. .750, .820, .875, 1.00... thoughts?

3. Self timing or non-self timing?

Thanks

All,

I'd like to get your thoughts on muzzle brakes. I am going to start my own line of muzzle brakes and would like to know....

1. Material you'd like to see. Titanium, stainless, steel, 7075 aluminum.... thoughts?

2. Diameters you currently buy or use. .750, .820, .875, 1.00... thoughts?

3. Self timing or non-self timing?

Thanks
I use all kinds of muzzle brakes with different materials; self-indexing and GS indexed. It is very competitive, there is at least 4 LRH members and sponsors manufacturing MBs. Good luck!

I would like to see a nice 17-4 self timing brake, it would last generations. I use the bastard series and the 419 brakes mainly and a few more obscure brakes I have collected over the years. No real interest in Ti and def no interest in aluminum.

Your right ab
I would like to see a nice 17-4 self timing brake, it would last generations. I use the bastard series and the 419 brakes mainly and a few more obscure brakes I have collected over the years. No real interest in Ti and def no interest in aluminum.
Your right about lasting generations if I made em out of 17-4.... I typically have made them from 303ss as it's machinability is the best of the stainless materials

The thought on the 7075 was for someone who shoots it very little and wanted the ultimate lightweight..... but.... it is aluminum. They'd be cheap to make tho.

You are right, and in defense of the aluminium, the ones I had trouble with and replaced were on a 22 cheetah and a 6-284 prairie dog rifles, one tends to shoot those a little often than something on a Mountain rifle.

Lots of big bore hex barreled rifles out there that could be tamed with a brake....but good luck finding someone who makes one. This was a one-off job:

1885a.JPG

Best of luck to your endeavors.
It's a market with a lot of choices. However, you might fill some niche demands that are not/lightly supported. Keeping costs down will be key on material and milling/turning capability, heavy on CNC.
Hopefully a design of something not just constrained to a muzzle brake pops up in your mind and you can create and capture a new market.
Getting into an old market can eat you up.

Best of luck to your endeavors.
It's a market with a lot of choices. However, you might fill some niche demands that are not/lightly supported. Keeping costs down will be key on material and milling/turning capability, heavy on CNC.
Hopefully a design of something not just constrained to a muzzle brake pops up in your mind and you can create and capture a new market.
Getting into an old market can eat you up.
I've made brakes since the mid 90s but mostly on manual machines. A good friend of mine purchased a cnc and wants to make a go of it. I've looked into several designs and manufacturers processes. We have a good plan on how to set this up to produce in a cost effective manor. Mostly I machine titanium for my main job anyway so we are leaning that direction. We will probably make several designs and materials to try out and have others try so we can get good feedback. Maybe it'll do well.... maybe it'll fizzle. It should provide some work for him and provide a good product too.

Titanium seems to be the current rage. If you could make a titanium brake that is very effective and cost competitive, you just might get a new business off the ground.
Likely this will be the first design we go with (titanium). We will probably make 3 different port lengths... 2, 3 and 4. Both in a self timing and a GS installed version. Cost wise, we will be very competitive as it's a small outfit with virtually no overhead.