Manners LRH - LA

Don Rackley

Just curious if anyone has encountered this before.......

This rifle is a Manners LRH Long Action with high rings (scope front end = 56mm). The problem is when I raise the comb to where I look through the scope, teh bolt will not come back enough to feed a round from the magazine....... The pic shows the bolt as far back as it will go. The bolt needs to come back 9/16" more to feed a shell.

I have high cheekbone and prefer to cheek a rifle like I do my shotgun.

Any ideas?

don

Attachments

• IMG_1611.jpg
    IMG_1611.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 107
That looks pretty high to me - is it comfortable like that when shooting prone? Bummer on the lack of clearance there - I'd say break out the dremel or send to manners to request that area be milled out to allow the clearance for the bolt.

Everyone's face is different, and my shooting buddy has no cheek bones and I can't get low enough on his stock to see through his optic. I have high cheek bones and I don't think my LRH even came with enough spacers to get the riser that high. I am using a 1.27" Hawkins mount which is a little higher than I would typically go on my hunting rifles.

Not to sound critical, but its not a shotgun and its not meant to be shot like a shotgun. You are aiming through a scope versus mounting and shooting instinctively with the aid of front bead. I would consider reevaluating how you get on the rifle. With a little repetition and retraining of your brain you would probably be just as comfortable with it a little lower. I have been able to do it with AR's after getting over the 2.26" craze/fad.

20231004_102748.jpg

If you are talking to me…I am very well aware of the differences between fitting a shotgun stock and a rifle stock

But, thanks for the tutorial though… :)

Last edited:
I too have high cheekbones and tend to run a fairly high comb. I've had to modify cheekbones risers in the past, but usually because I've installed a longer mag box that required more rearward bolt travel. It's a simple enough modification.

As someone else suggested, perhaps lower it enough to clear and see if you can modify your position to make it work consistently.

Sometimes too long of LOP causes unnecessary tilt of your head which further decreases your cheek to eye distance. Perhaps try moving your scope rearward.