.lrh .338 lapua mag. advise?

Duane Waterson

To start off I'm gonna say I have researched this extensively. I have one of the first built savage .338 LM in the lrh. In researching this everyone attributes bad cases to most of the problems. I am using Lapua cases.... I believe it has a very tight chamber.... reasons for believing that are what I had load developed as my accuracy load is 95.5 grains of h1000 215m primer 250 grain accubond .040" from lands 3.660 oal. shoots 2980 out of 26" barrel. Also I have stuck cases regularly even though I am shooting a relatively light load according to most manuals. Even after full length sizing with redding dies some cases seem snug to rechamber, I've even went as far as trimming them down to 2.708" to ensure they were not reaching max. I've contacted savage about it and they said I could send it back , they would inspect specs. But if it shoots black hills ammo and ejects I have a feeling there is nothing they would do about it. I have a good bit of reloading experience have never had such a headache as with this gun. Gun shoots .5 moa, but that does you me no good if it sticks cases randomly. I don't want a single shot muzzle loader that I have to carry a cleaning rod to extract stuck cases.... any advise would be appreciated!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.