Manners Bedding question

This is about the only thread I could find on the topic that is related to my inquiry, on the whole interwebz.

Manners told me that they'll be sending pillars that need to be fitted to the stock by me (or somebody I hire). With that I guess I would do the following:
1. attach those pillars to the action and bed them in place using the action inlet as the form/support during the process.
2. Cut the pillar off flush with the bottom metal inlet once cured. BDL bottom metal.
3. Bed the action, relieving the action inlet material around the pillars, etc; like any other action bedding process.

Does that sound about right for the process? My ag stock came with the pillars fitted as part of the action and bottom metal inlet.

Much appreciated! Rok

What are these 60,000 psi microballons made of?

They are made of a variety of things, mostly they are an epoxy resin base, they are designed to thicken and lighten the adhesive.

They can add strength, viscosity but mainly they extend the yield of the base product.

7A513439-6245-4929-8B72-136688A4D6CF.jpeg

Lots of this is personal preference but to achieve a preference you first have to try any of these bedding materials first. That gets to expensive even with the 'expert opinions'.

I used Pro Bed 2000 for a while until the next batch wouldn't set up correctly. The batch after that wouldn't either so it all got sent back. Tried Devcon and just didn't care for it. Marine Tex was suggested by the boat company down the road. I bought the small kit to bed a stock then started buying in bulk. I buy the gallon kits now...:eek:

I watched a pallet of Marine Tex get delivered to GAP and Manners. They use a ton of it because it works and is consistent.

Enjoy!

:)

Is a 2 Oz of marine Tex enough for a manners pilllar and action bedding? I envision removing stock material from around the pillar and recoil lug, some from the tang area and filling back in with marine Tex.

Never heard of using microballoons in a bedding compound. They're glass spheres, added to epoxy mixtures to add volume and make a lightweight, easy to sand filler. I've used more epoxy/fillers (West System) than I care to remember in boat renovation/repairs- I'd never use glass balloons in a bedding compound.

Marine-Tex is fine (I prefer Devcon tho)- but you must use the gray, not the white. White is too soft.
In my experience Marine-Tex is much more sensitive to mix ratio and should be done by weight, not volume.