....And raise your Maple: :D:D

Attachments

• maple.jpg
    maple.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 80
  • maple4.jpg
    maple4.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 82
do you guys have some pictures of the process as you go. sort of like a start to finish set of pictures.

My pics are all in my head, along with the order I proceed in. Make sure you have ALL your metal work done. And, for a beginner, start looking around at carving sized chisels and gouges, or, decide how you're going to make them and where to come up with the high carbon steel . That'll take you a day or two. In the mean time, Les Brooks authored a thread over on AccutateReloading, if you're going to do the work without the aid of a mill. Here's the link, THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS If that doesn't take you there, the title of the thread is "Stockmaker show and tell". Should be easy to find with their 'search' feature. I think it's a "sticky" in the "gunsmithing" section.

I concur, that is a great thread to read if you want to attempt making a stock without the use of modern technology. I've read it many times, and still marvel at the talent some guys have. The "old timers" in this business are more talented than the new guys... Those of us who use modern machinery are a bit spoiled. :rolleyes:

so I read the thread thanks for posting gave me an idea of how to go about it. One question that I have is do you pick one side and stagger the barrel over to that side so it has minimal carving and work the other side over to that or do you center the action and barrel and work each side equally?

While your looking for a blank and rounding up tools you'll need a template for the butt and grip. A commercial metal grip cap from Brownells or MidWay will work for the grip, but, you'll need to make one for the butt. I use 1/8" thick flat steel. A tracing of a butt end of a stock you like will do. Transfer it to the steel and cut and file it out. It's nice if your screw holes in the template are placed properly for the pad you'll use.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.