Making 6.8 Western Brass

Leaf Litter

Love the cartridge, hate the Winchester brass and refuse to pay $6 per case from RCC, although their products seem well manufactured. What cartridge brass would be my best option for resizing/fire forming into 6.8 western? 6.5 PRC? 7 SAUM? I'm new to reloading so I don't know all of the nuances, but both cases seem to have potential in terms of case dimensions and both come in better brass options than just Winchester.

So what do you guys think? Stick with sub-standard brass or get creative?

Cheers!

Parent cartridge is the .404 Jeffrey. Same as the SAUM/WSM/RUM/Sherman Short lines. Best bet would be using 7 SAUM brass from ADG, might also be able to use some of the Sherman brass since that seems more available than other ADG options

Perhaps you could size 270 WSM in full length die; although you may have to still trim to length? I'm using the 6.8 Winchester brass with decent results. A few of them have squish marks on the shoulder but seems to be mostly cosmetic.
That might be a lot to ask of the shoulder, especially on such a "shouldery" case haha.

It looks like 7 SAUM might be my best option, IF brass ever becomes available. I'm not confident that the extra length of the WSM case can be smashed into my 6.8 sizing die. I'm still curious if 6.5 PRC would work, brass is much easier to find.

Let me know if anybody has info on 6.5 prc being used for 6.8 western. I'm not scared to trailblaze resizing a 6.5, just always open to previous knowledge

It looks like 7 SAUM might be my best option, IF brass ever becomes available. I'm not confident that the extra length of the WSM case can be smashed into my 6.8 sizing die. I'm still curious if 6.5 PRC would work, brass is much easier to find.

Let me know if anybody has info on 6.5 prc being used for 6.8 western. I'm not scared to trailblaze resizing a 6.5, just always open to previous knowledge
PRC brass will be a no go. The 6.8 western is a rebated rim case, the 6.5 prc is not. Same rim diameter, different case head diameter. .532 vs .545 or .55 or something like that

PRC brass will be a no go. The 6.8 western is a rebated rim case, the 6.5 prc is not. Same rim diameter, different case head diameter. .532 vs .545 or .55 or something like that
That's the info I was looking for. I thought PRC was incompatible but I couldn't remember why.

Frostop, That link point to 7mm short mag, brass, you think that would work for the 6.8W?

Also, for the 7WSM brass, would annealing the brass help?

Thank you!

Hmm, Takes me right to 270 wsm and 7 saum, all of which are out of stock. There is definitely more available in 270wsm and generally cheaper.