6.8 western data

I've had good groups using the Berger 170's, with 54.4 grs. of H 4350. Seen in an earlier post where H 1000 was doing well too. Gonna have to try that and see which one my gun likes the best!!

I've played with H1000, great accuracy, a little anemic on velocity. Best velocity and accuracy so far though, has been 145 ELD-X Over 60.4 gr of superformance. The books show it as over max but my gun is showing no pressure signs, primer pockets are still good and tight, no ejector marks.........

From looking at the Hodgdon manual and some experience it is hard to beat Staball HD for velocity. Looks like the slower powders produce more speed. Accurate Arms Magnum, Magpro and Retumbo all are very fast. i have tried H4831, H1000, Retumbo and Staball HD. Retumbo gave more velocity. Both H1000 and Staball HD were very accurate. I did not try the max load with Staball HD so I don't know if it will match Retumbo in speed.

From looking at the Hodgdon manual and some experience it is hard to beat Staball HD for velocity. Looks like the slower powders produce more speed. Accurate Arms Magnum, Magpro and Retumbo all are very fast. i have tried H4831, H1000, Retumbo and Staball HD. Retumbo gave more velocity. Both H1000 and Staball HD were very accurate. I did not try the max load with Staball HD so I don't know if it will match Retumbo in speed.
Not just any cartridge in short mag I have experience with, but 6.5prc is close to 6.5rem mag with duplicate numbers. My chambering selection for AR's were limited, so I went for it. I have seen both 270wsm and 6.8western offerings in AR barrels. I can't get a caliber specific blank for an AR and have it headspaced, chambered and port drilled anywhere near my location. So I have to settle for what there is. A BIG important thing is finding brass.

Getting brass is a major problem not only for the 6.8 Western but also for 270WSM and 7mm SAUM. I bought 6 boxes of factory ammo to get brass for my 6.8. Since i have owned a 270 WSM for 20 years i have enough 270 WSM brass.When i bought the 7mm SAUM also about 20 years ago i knew brass would be a problem so i was able to buy 300 rounds of RP brass. No such luck with the 6.8.

Getting brass is a major problem not only for the 6.8 Western but also for 270WSM and 7mm SAUM. I bought 6 boxes of factory ammo to get brass for my 6.8. Since i have owned a 270 WSM for 20 years i have enough 270 WSM brass.When i bought the 7mm SAUM also about 20 years ago i knew brass would be a problem so i was able to buy 300 rounds of RP brass. No such luck with the 6.8.
I was able to buy loaded ammo cheaper than just brass for the 6.5prc. At a $1.14/round means I have a 10 cent primer installed already. Saving the powder to try and figure out what to do with it, but using QL gives me an idea of what Norma used? Test barrel of 24", coal of 2.860" and brass at 2.020" got me within 15fps of what is stated on the box. With about 1,100 rounds it give me about 7# of powder of either MRP*C or 204*C. I'm making sure all lot numbers are the same as so not to mix up the possibilities a bad situation. Measuring each charge as it might change brings a change in not lot, but change in powder? I've done this with 338lm before, so I'm still cautious!