Magnum Research / Sako L691

adam32

So I went to a newly opened gun shop today and while I was browsing a camo rifle caught my eye. I asked the guy what it was. Its a Magnum Research .270 win, Sako L691 action, Krieger barrel, trued, lapped lugs, pillar/glass bedded McMillan, and a super sweet trigger (not sure if its aftermarket or not). It has been fired about 6 times and they (consignee) wants $1500 for it but is open to offers. I was thinking about offering $1250.

It looks to me that it is an older Magnum Research rifle, since the new ones have carbon fiber barrels.

What do you guys think? Would it be worth it?

Yes it is worth it. The 691 is an older action and does weigh a little bit more than a 75 or 85 as I know it.

Add it up and you will see it is well worth your offering price:

Sako 691 ~ $1089
Krieger bbl ~ $275 for preturned blank
McMillan stock ~ $489
Sako factory trigger can be worked down to crisp 2 pounds. (I do not think there is an aftermarket available, but could be wrong)....~ $45 to tune.
Then pay a smith to put it all together....~$600-$750.

Sako rifles, according to some I know that have decades of experience with them, will state that they simply do not need truing 98% of the time.

If you get it for $1250, count your blessings.

About 10 years ago magnum research dumped some of those actions on the market and I bought about 30 of them. I have some very nice shooting rifles built off those actions.

About 10 years ago magnum research dumped some of those actions on the market and I bought about 30 of them. I have some very nice shooting rifles built off those actions.

So they are a pretty good action then? Honestly, its pretty much the first time I have heard of it. I did a little research and it looks like they have a floating recoil lug? Is that something I should check on it? I also sent an e-mail to MRI to see what they say about the rifle.

The ones they sent me are stamped magnum research. Yes, they do have that goofy new sako recoil lug system or lack of recoil lug I guess is the best description. I did figure out a good bedding system for those and the TRG-S actions that ended up with some nice lightweight rifles that will shoot very well. I have never looked into a magnum research rifle to see how they bed them. They are much lighter than the old L-III actions I used for years since they shaved the recoil lug off it. The tolerances on the Sakos seem much better and you do not need a custom trigger for most hunting work. The factory trigger is nice. I used Sako actions for my best custom rifles for years. If I could find some more of those actions at a fair price I would by them. In my opinion they are a definite step up from the standard actions like the rem 700 and such.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts