M70: Putting a Jewell in, or help me with my trigger job...DIY

nksmfamjp

Is the Jewell a DIY? I'm asking because I'm currently chasing a M70 trigger.

It is not square to my Power stoning jig! Looks like trigger is not square to the sear...or maybe sides not square to the sear surface. My next plan is to shim in a controlled way. If the trigger was bad, everything will be crooked.

Basically I will have to straighten or scrap.

What could be wrong? I'm only bearing on about 25% of the width of the sear surface, using marksalot for layout fluid.

Jewell triggers in the model 70 require quite a bit of material to be removed from the trigger guard. I have done several with a dremel tool. It is very evident where you need to remove material when you try to reassemble. The trigger itself is adjusted pretty well from the factory and is easy to change with the included allen keys. I have never been able to get a model 70 trigger to feel as good as a jewell.

Jewell triggers in the model 70 require quite a bit of material to be removed from the trigger guard. I have done several with a dremel tool. It is very evident where you need to remove material when you try to reassemble. The trigger itself is adjusted pretty well from the factory and is easy to change with the included allen keys. I have never been able to get a model 70 trigger to feel as good as a jewell.
You are correct a jewell is like crack you get hooked and gotta have more

Do they really adjust from 1.5 oz to 3.5 lbs? That is like a mile of adjustment!

Your first trigger mating surface of 25% is not unusual for a factory trigger. A good smith can do a trigger job with a jig, hone surfaces flat and true. And get good mating surface. It will feel like a silky smooth trigger.
Jewels are near the cream of the crop. I've got some on hunting rifles which i love. When i shot benchrest i used his 3oz triggers and turned them down! You have the thought and the gun goes boom!

Well, I'm at about 60-70% now, centered and a consistent 1.9lb pull. It doesn't creep or jar off. I think I'll stay here for now and let that break in a bit.

I'm looking for under 2.5 and crisp....I'm basically there. Need to get the sear to bear 90% or better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.