M40 replica build

meatyrem

I am thinking of an M40 replica build. Just a basic M700 short action, standard sniper contour straight tapers barrel, McMillan A4/A5 stock. Is it better to get a standard action and have it trued and squared up by my smith or should I get an action that's already trued and ready to go and skip that whole process? My smith says it may not be much to true it and depends on how much work is needed on it and he only charges for how much work on it he has to do sometimes a little sometimes a lot and all depends on how out of whack the action is. So I may be able to go a cheaper route with a standard action (untrued) and have it trued or more with an new completely trued action, what would you recommend?

If it was me I would have the smith true up the action vice getting one already done. This way he can ensure that everything is true from the receiver to the barrel.
Or depending on what he says as far as work required and budget as well. just skip the whole process .
Are you planning on getting the scope base lug slotted as well. going 308 with it

Memo

Not sure how easy it would be to find one but I would try to get my hands on used, or burned out Milspec R5 rifle, or action. Over the years I have owned four of these rifles and all shot well under .5MOA right out if the box. I'm currently planning an M40A1 build using the action from a Milspec that I shot out the barrel. My favorite M40 series sniper rifle is the Viet Nam era M40. Remingtnon had a limited run replica that I have owned for about 10 years that is exceptionally accurate. Not my exact rifle but this is a picture of what it looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 121
If you are really trying for a replica M40 it does not use the A4/5 stock. The M40A4 or M40A5 use the A4/5 stock.

For the M40 you need a period action with correlating serial numbers with the old style flat safety and bolt shroud, replica stock, with aluminum buttplate, Wichita M40 swivel set, Redfield Jr base with correct numbers and rings, action clip slotted ($200) replica stock and correct profile CM barrel, bottom metal and then correct finishes on it all.

Scope is Gen 1 or 2 Redfield 3-9 with tombstone reticle ($500) and then only one guy anodizes them to the correct green finish ($325).

All total you are looking at close to $3500 or more as a minimum and time to find everything.

I am on the same process now and have almost everything.

Memo43 I was considering doing that preferably and having him true it all up himself as it may actually be cheaper too and have everything done by him. For the base I was thinking 20moa badger base. And definitely go with the 308.

Bounty hunter I don't think I want to go to that extreme as to say an actual "replica" with matching numbers and such but more of a look-a-like on a simpler level with close to the same dimensions and weight. I don't have the kind of dough to put one together like that. I am going to do it as I can when I am able to and it may take a little longer than I want but eventually get it done.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.