buy or build?

CA30-06

I had a couple questions to ask for some opinions on.
1. Does anybody have experience with the Savage 110ba? I am looking to either buy or build a nice long range hunting and bench rifle. (Prob see more bench than brush) it looks like a good deal for the price (found a used never been fired at a local shop for $2k) pros/con's from anybody with this model?

2. The other option is to get a cheeprer model, (savage axis, rem700 winchester bolt) and custom the barrel, stock, etc..

This will be my first build/buy of a rifle for this purpose so I open to any and all who have advice. I do know the 110ba is chambered in 338lp, and I know they are pricy. If the build up turned out to be a better option, I would most likely be in either 300win mag or I have been told 338 rem was another choice. Again, thanks in advance for any and all advice or pointers.

While I don't think we could class the Savage 110BA as either a bench or hunting rifle, there isn't any reason it couldn't be used in either capacity. When you consider that you could easily invest more than the price of the Savage 110BA in a custom rifle with similar features it makes more sense, IMO, to buy the Savage (which certainly has a very good reputation) and enjoy the experience.

Check out the Savage 110 FCP HS precision. It is a little cheaper and a whole lot more practical. I know 5 shooters who own them and they all shoot very good.

Check out the Savage 110 FCP HS precision. It is a little cheaper and a whole lot more practical. I know 5 shooters who own them and they all shoot very good.

Between the two, I'd opt for the 11 FCP HS with the muzzle brake in 338 Lapua. More practical for hunting, suitable for tactical; still not a bench gun IMO. The guy at the next bench won't like that muzzle brake.:D

For 2k you can do much better than a Savage. The best investment you can make is a quality barrel. Find a used Rem 700, have it re-barreled put it in a Bell and Carlson stock and you'll have something no factory gun will run with.

Depends on what your budget is. If you want to stick with $2k, look at a used rifle or the Savage. $3-5K call a smith or buy a LRH rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.