M1 turret newbie questions

WillHunt

So some discussions on here have me thinking that I may send off one or both of my Leupold scopes (one's a varix III 3.5-10x50, the other's a varixII 3-9 x 40) to have elevation turrets (M1) installed. I am totally inexperienced with these turrets but think that they will help me extend my effective hunting range from around 300 to more like 400+.

1. Is my understanding correct that these are simply MOA turrets with 1/4 MOA clicks, so I still need to know all my drop data at different ranges for the load I'm shooting - and the turret adjustment will just keep me from holding over?

2. Versus, if I'm not mistaken, I can also get a ballistic match "sleeve?" to go with the M1 that instead of MOA marks, has yardage marks for the specific load, so I wouldn't need to know the drop data, but would just turn the dial to the yardage and shoot?

3. If I just start with the M1 without the ballistic match, can someone point me in the direction of a good source for instructions on how to calculate MOA (clicks) once I know the yardage and the drop?

4. Would this calculation be correct: 18" low at 425 yds. = 18 divided by 4.25 = 4.2MOA? Or is there more to it than that?

Sorry for the beginner level questions - I've searched for this info on the site and found some of it in bits and pieces, but want to make sure I understand completely.

1) Yes, the turrets will be set to whatever you currently have click-wise. If you remove the caps on your scopes, they should tell you if it is 1/4 MOA, 1/2 MOA etc, although I'm pretty sure they are 1/4 MOA.

2) Yes, if you give them your load data, you could get one customized for yardages. Keep in mind that those yardages will only work for the given set of data, i.e. temperature, elevation, etc. So if you take that scope to a different elevation or shoot it at a drastically different temperature than it is set for, the turret won't match up with the precise yardages.

3 and 4) On the top border of this website, you will see a link for the G7 Ballistics Calculator. You can use that to plug in your data and view and print drop charts.

Hope this helps! If you are planning on sticking with those Leupold Scopes for the long term, you will really like those M1 turrets and they are well worth it. I would say the only downfall to the scopes you have is the maximum magnification levels, which will keep you from really stretching out there. However, if you want to shoot inside of 500 yards or so, you will be just fine.

Will- i think Cohunt answered your questions. while i used a 3.5-10 to shoot most of the big game over quite a span of time, a differing conditions including a couple of long shots. i prefer a higher ( 6.5-20 ) power for distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.