Lug bedding

Phil Rizzo

I see different opinions on bedding material around the recoil lug.
some say rear side only, some say sides and front/back is ok.
Im aware the bottom of the lug needs relief.

anybody noticed a lack of sensitivity from keeping contact at the rear only?

I run a piece of tape across the bottom and sides of the lug and trim it with a razor so that only the bottom and sides are covered. Then I bed it. So the tang is held solid front to back but has a tiny bit of room on the bottom and sides.

I tape off the front of the lug as well to provide minimal clearance to enable removing the action easier.
Clearance in the front is inconsequential, the lug needs to be seated against the rear bedding-you could have a mile of clearance in front of it and it will have no effect. SOP when seating a barreled action, you bump the recoil pad on the floor prior to torquing the action screws to be sure the lug is seated properly.

I tape off the front of the lug as well to provide minimal clearance to enable removing the action easier.
Clearance in the front is inconsequential, the lug needs to be seated against the rear bedding-you could have a mile of clearance in front of it and it will have no effect. SOP when seating a barreled action, you bump the recoil pad on the floor prior to torquing the action screws to be sure the lug is seated properly.
Yeah I always stand the rifle up before tightening screws but I still don't tape the front because I want the action in the exact same spot all the time with no room to move forward. And I've never had a problem getting the action out. They just slide right out. But every one has their own way. If it works then it works. 👍🏻