LR scope choice

EiC

OK guys, let me pick your brain a bit.

A good friend of mine is looking to upgrade from his 50-year-old .270 Winchester to a new M70 Stainless Classic Syntheitc in .270 WSM and wants to set it up for his version of long-range shooting, say, max 800 yards. He wants a scope to be able to compensate for bullet drop at extended ranges, but he's not into doing a lot of math in the field, and it should not be too complicated to operate. I guess, from what he said to me, he wants something he can quickly adjust once he lases a deer and shoot.

So, what would you suggest he get?

Thanks,

EiC

First of all, if he is wanting a long range gun, I would discourage the Winchester and look hard @ a Savage. The chances of you getting a very accurate rifle are just much higher w/the Savage.

Second, if he wants something simple I would back that range up to 600 yds and go w/the Leupold B&C reticle or something similar. With a little practice this will plenty accurate to take deer out to 5-600yds.

Just my opinion. I'm sure someone will disagree /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

B.J.

EiC,

I am looking to do the same as your friend. I am going to set up my M700 280AI with a Leupold VXIII 4.5X14LR w/B&C reticle. I am also going to pick up the new Leupold RXIII digital range finder when they become available. These two items, along with a lot of practice, should cover my needs out to 500-600 yds.

Regards,

JD338

Thanks to both of you. I agree at limiting the range to 600, but it was my friend's specs, not mine. Too, I agree the Savage will probably be more accurate out of the box than the Winchester, but we're both pretty wedded to the Model 70, him more than me.

Ian, care to weigh in?

I am not a big Winchester fan, but if I went that way I would look at the Coyote Lite in 270WSM or 7MM WSM. I liked
the balance & the weight was just right for me. I looked at
one in 325WSM & was impressed. I hope the barrels are better
than std. Win., but I don't know.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.