LR bow hunting/shooting

7mm what makes you think you killed both deer no blood and no serious damage? deer are very resilant animals and recover from much worse than you stated you inflicted. again as i said in my post you have to weigh everything before you shoot, if you cant get an exact range then i sugest you dont shoot! hope your season goes better!

Well as far as the bad rangefinder reading goes I didn't know it was the background until I had already shot. But I do say that there is a good chance the first buck lived but due to the predation in the area of the second I am sure that with a broken leg his odds were pretty grim. But I do appreciate that you fellas go about your archery hunting in a reasonably responsible manner as far as distance go.

I to love LRA on the range live here in the great north woods MN LR at deer is about 40 yards I got a mathews ultra max set at 60# 29" DR beman ICS 400 100 gr grim reapers schaffer drop away shoots at 260 fps and there opposition sight have 4 fiberoptics 1 steel set all the way to 60y every 10y hitting a 5" circle got room for more pins

I shoot out to 150 yds, with a Mathews Conquest Apex 7 set at 29 1/2" and pulling 80 lbs. Most of the animals I shoot though have been under 40 yds, but I do have a few that were 70+ and one that was way out there. Just to let you guys know, I'm shooting a 510 gr arrow at 281 fps.

Last edited:
Ive never killed a deer less than 40 yards and ive had 10 bow kills
maybe im just too impatient but im confident out to 90 yards longest kill 75 double lunger

I shoot a Mathews Q2 at 74 lbs, arrow speed of 294 fps with Nap 100 gr spitfires and 100 gr slick tricks. First pin is set at 25 yds. Second pin at 40, then 50, 60, and 70. Bottom of the ring of my sight cage is good for 100 yds. Years ago used to have my pins set up in 20 yd increments (20, 40, 60, 80, 100) when I was shooting every day and attending 3-D shoots. Time constraints don't allow me to shoot that often anymore so long distance range has backed down a bit. I still practise out to 100 yds when I pull out the bow but keep my shots at animals under 70 yds and I always use a rangefinder if the animal is more than 40 yds away. I don't necessarily range the animal. I like to range the surrounding area (trees, stumps, brush, etc) before the animal comes in. 90% of my bowhunting involves calling the animal to me or another shooter during the rut (wt, elk, moose) or calling in yotes.

Real fun if you have the time. Get a sight of your choice, dont be cheap... and set it up on a one click pendalum. (Spelling) Make sure the sight is capible of allowing 8 or 9 pins. Set the pendalum up so you can click it one inch down, but not so far it disturbes arrow flight out of your rest. Next, add another peep sight to your string one half inch below your first. (Unless you use a No-peep). You will need to play around a little with it for adjustments and set up. Once applied, you should be able to shoot out to 225 yards with a 300fps bow. Lots of fun, and of course, don't hunt with it or even try it. Praire dogs are real fun though. Oh, make a bi-pod for your bow for shooting that far and sighting in. Grap a set of stix, fab up a piece of alluminum and attatch your bi-pod to the front of your stabilizer pocket. You will be amazed at how well a tuned bow with the proper arrow combo will shoot at 200 yards, and how many praire dogs you can nail. PM for pics and more instructions if intrested.

I to love shooting long range with my bow a mathews 60# 29" dr. 260 fps with 400 ics arrows and 100 gr br head . So far I am out to 60 Y ran out of pins. only got 5 but I do know were 70 is. If I had the chance to take a deer at 50 I would. I see most of shoot 70# or beter. I can but like to shoot longer (time) I like that bipod idea there is just not manny pr. dogs in MN I want to go bear hunting

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.