Lowering ES 260 REM load

great accuracy and poor SDs normally means you have the right bullet, but the wrong combination of load components.

J E CUSTOM

That was just the kind of information I was looking for before I just went burning through powder/bullets playing with seating depth and tension. I assumed with this high of SDs that I should probably change a component, but with my other rifle my accuracy and SDs improved together so I haven't had any issues with a highly accurate load but poor SDs.
Will get some CCI 200 and Fed 210 to try out.

As others have said try a standard lr primer. No need for a magnum primer. I have pretty good luck with winchester wlr primers and in general my go to. Federal 210m is also one I've had good luck with.

That was just the kind of information I was looking for before I just went burning through powder/bullets playing with seating depth and tension. I assumed with this high of SDs that I should probably change a component, but with my other rifle my accuracy and SDs improved together so I haven't had any issues with a highly accurate load but poor SDs.
Will get some CCI 200 and Fed 210 to try out.

Also try the CCI BR 2. I have had very good results in 3/08 based cartridges with them.

J E CUSTOM

I am working up a load in my 260 Rem and having issues with high ES, but great accuracy. Below is a 5 shot group with the 5th shot a called flyer as I got a little excited with the 4 shot group.
5BD6DECD-8599-4565-B012-9658C09580C6

This load had an ES of 56fps. The load is:
-43.6gr H4350
-Lapua Brass 1x fired and annealed with Amp annealer before sizing with .293 bushing for .001 neck tension
-Berger 130gr AR hybrid .010 off lands
-CCI 250 primer

Brass was all the same length, length to the shoulder was the same as virgin brass, and now being 2x fired the shoulders have grown .002 so will bump them back .001

I shot groups with 43, 43.2, 43.4, 43.6, and 43.8 all groups but the 43gr had above 50fps ES but it shot 1" group.

At this point should I play with seating depth to see if it lowers the ES? Load some at 43.6gr at .010, .020, .030, .040 off the lands? Try a different primer? or start over with a new powder?

With my 338 I was able to get my ES down to 10-12fps and would like to get this load down below 20.
Work on seating depth

Was 43.8 the max load or can you go higher? Also what is the Es/Sd for the 43 grain load.
What is the trend of your loads.
Speeds all over the place or 4 close and one way different?

293 bushing to 263 neck IDs, means the necks would have to be >15thou thick.
Are they?
If bullet seated it's .294 and your fired brass should be only.295. Maybe insufficient neck clearance?
Maybe try floating the bushing more in the die and partially sizing the necks. Are bullets seating down to the neck/shoulder junction?

Last edited:
Also try the CCI BR 2. I have had very good results in 3/08 based cartridges with them.

J E CUSTOM
Those are the same as the CCI 200s correct just more experienced worker is on the machine so they should be more consistent? I was thinking of going with the CCI BR 2, Fed 210M, and REM 9 1/2

Was 43.8 the max load or can you go higher? Also what is the Es/Sd for the 43 grain load.
What is the trend of your loads.
Speeds all over the place or 4 close and one way different?
Pressure was at 44, speeds were usually 2 close then three random. 43gr load was 41 ES for 4 shots.

I'm shooting a 260 rem with h4350 and eld x bullets in a 26" Hart barrel. My es is usually single digits with my load. I think it was 43.5gr. As long as I sorted my elds. I sorted them by bearing surface and got very good results by them.

I am working up a load in my 260 Rem and having issues with high ES, but great accuracy. Below is a 5 shot group with the 5th shot a called flyer as I got a little excited with the 4 shot group.
5BD6DECD-8599-4565-B012-9658C09580C6

This load had an ES of 56fps. The load is:
-43.6gr H4350
-Lapua Brass 1x fired and annealed with Amp annealer before sizing with .293 bushing for .001 neck tension
-Berger 130gr AR hybrid .010 off lands
-CCI 250 primer

Brass was all the same length, length to the shoulder was the same as virgin brass, and now being 2x fired the shoulders have grown .002 so will bump them back .001

I shot groups with 43, 43.2, 43.4, 43.6, and 43.8 all groups but the 43gr had above 50fps ES but it shot 1" group.

At this point should I play with seating depth to see if it lowers the ES? Load some at 43.6gr at .010, .020, .030, .040 off the lands? Try a different primer? or start over with a new powder?

With my 338 I was able to get my ES down to 10-12fps and would like to get this load down below 20.
Ghostmoney, in my 6.5 SAUM I did a 50 round test with CCI 250 and Fed 210 M's. (25 of each through a Magnetospeed V3). The 210M's cut my SD's and ES's by 55%. Funny thing about it is I have not been able to get a group tighter than a .6 with the 210M's. Go figure but maybe this will help you out.

What je custom says, If this is a new barrel it will speed up for a couple hundred rounds messing with your ES, try one component at a time and see what happens then come back to that exact load once you've reached 150-200 rounds and see how it looks

Ghostmoney, in my 6.5 SAUM I did a 50 round test with CCI 250 and Fed 210 M's. (25 of each through a Magnetospeed V3). The 210M's cut my SD's and ES's by 55%. Funny thing about it is I have not been able to get a group tighter than a .6 with the 210M's. Go figure but maybe this will help you out.
Thanks! good to know just changing primer can help that much. I'd be happy with 1/2 moa if I can have low ES SDs

What je custom says, If this is a new barrel it will speed up for a couple hundred rounds messing with your ES, try one component at a time and see what happens then come back to that exact load once you've reached 150-200 rounds and see how it looks
Not a new barrel, started working on loads at 150 rounds and now at 200

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.