Loss of neck tension?

Oldschool280

My 6.5 swede in which i use lapua brass is on its fourth firing. I added cabelas polish to the media when i tumbled them ( for 12 hours) . When i reloaded them the bullets ( 140 gamekings) went in nearly effortlessly on half of the batch. I grabbed the bullet and cant move it by hand. Thoughts?

Neck turned using bushings, i have to drop down 1 thou after a few firings. No annealing.

Neck wall thickness may thin using a standard FL die that over works the brass.

Loaded some new brass in 243 win. Pet load shot better than normal out of 40x. Taking measurements, showed a loaded neck diameter of .276" maximun SAAMI. Not normal.

Neck wall thickness got thinner after a few loadings, then it stabilized .

Nect tension was never lost, only accuracy changed for the worst.

The morel of the story? Bushing dies are your friend. Redding Type S FL sizing bushing die for me.

I suspect that the 12 hours of tumbling with the brass polish could be a reason for the abrupt change in seating pressure. Not to say that your brass doesn't require annealing, but brass hardening(requiring annealing) tends to be more gradual when it comes to seating pressure. My guess is that you will definitely feel a difference in seating pressure if you anneal, but this generally happens, and it is frequently due to burning off residues that has accumulated on the necks inside surface, similar to the increased resistance of new, unfired brass when an expander is used. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.