Looking for reloading parts

LiveToHunt7

Good morning everyone,

As I venure into this fun new game, I'm looking for reloading equipment. If you have anything laying around or are looking to sell, please let me know. For some reason, I couldn't post a "Looking for..." thread in the classifieds. If you also have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them. I have someone that has been extremely helpful throughout this whole process that wouldn't have been possible without this site. I recently made the decision to just get a single stage press vs. the Hornady Lock n' Load AP to learn the art but I'm still torn about it. I feel I can still do a single stage style reload with the Hornady press and maybe save myself money from ending up buying that press down the road. The single stage I'm looking at is the old tried and true RCBS Rockchucker.

Thank you again,
Rick

Primarily rifle loads. But I do shoot pistol also. Now, the frequency of either is different. I will shoot my rifle much more often than my pistols. My goal is to put at least 50 rounds through my rifle a month (so roughly 600 rounds a year) practicing up in the mountains. I will be reloading for 30-06 and then a 300 PRC in the future (next year). The pistol calibers I own are 9mm and 40 S&W.

I have came across various opinions, reviews, videos, etc. to help guide my decision making.

These are some of the items I've come up with that I'm interested in purchasing.

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler - From what I've read stainless media is the best to clean out cases. Which brought me to this tumbler. If it's possible to still clean brass (as effectively) with a cheaper tumbler and still have stainless media, I'm all ears. Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm learning all this through research, but the stainless media with a tumbler resolves having to deal with "goop" for a lack of a better term, extremely well cleaned and polished brass, including the primer hole. There is a lite version of this tumbler but it does not include the 5lb steel media and buying that with the lite ends about the same as the bigger one.

Case Trimmer - I've seen hand trimmers, drill trimmers, the rotary crank trimmers, and the Frankford Arsenal trimmer and prep kit.. This has an all in one system. I don't know which way is the best way to go that's going to produce accurate ammo while being efficient. I don't have a lot of time so if one is going to speed up the process 100x, that would be the direction I'd like to go. Some of the debur and chamfer tools I've seen are around $30+ and along with a crank trimmer, that's almost to the price of the FA. I'm not sure the accuracy of other trimmers but would like to cut costs where I can. The Lee quick trim kit seems like it's a seamless adjustment by inserting it into the press and then just hand debur/chamfer the cases.

Chronograph - I need a recommendation. Something that will do the job.

Other items that I am pretty certain about are the RCBS Chargemaster Lite and L.E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gauge.

I've seen lots of discussion regarding bullet seating making a huge impact on performance. What would the best tool for that be?

If I am missing anything, feel free to chime in. I appreciate the help and knowledge.

Thank you

Since the volume of loaded rounds isn't too large I would suggest use a single stage press or maybe the Redding Turret press.

I use a progressive press for pistol and single stage for rifle. I'm shooting 3000 to 8000 rounds of pistol and about 1500 rounds of rifle per year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.