Looking for Help Picking Factory .308 for Whitetails

jlarose85

Wanted to get you all's opinion on my factory options for .308 on Whitetails 300 yards and in. Rifle is a Bergara Premier Approach currently in its factory configuration but it will be wearing a 16.5" Proof at some point in the future so we can take that into account if need be. All shooting will be suppressed. Objectives are 1st to dispatch the animal quickly, 2nd to leave a good blood trail if possible since we hunt some really thick stuff down here in MS and 3rd to bloodshot as little meat as possible. Below are the loads I'm thinking I'm going to try. All of this is obviously pending the gun actually liking to shoot them accurately but I thought this might be a good starting point to narrow it down while I wait for my new scope to come in.

Nosler Trophy Grade 165gr Accubond
Barnes Vor-Tx 150gr TTSX
Barnes Vor-Tx 130gr TTSX
Federal Premium 168gr Berger Classic
Hornady Precision Hunter 178gr ELD-X

Appreciate the help and opinions y'all.

My bros killed >100 with Rem Core-Lokts to that distance, using 150-grn, and I don't think they are as fancy as any of those boolits you list!

My previous 308 preferred Fed Power Shoks, but my new-to-me lefty CZ-557 didn't like them, so I tried his suggestion and the Rem Core-Lokts shot sub-MOA. Only 1 deer, went to anticosti, but bang - down, long range.

They are cheaper that what you're considering to boot.

Wanted to get you all's opinion on my factory options for .308 on Whitetails 300 yards and in. Rifle is a Bergara Premier Approach currently in its factory configuration but it will be wearing a 16.5" Proof at some point in the future so we can take that into account if need be. All shooting will be suppressed. Objectives are 1st to dispatch the animal quickly, 2nd to leave a good blood trail if possible since we hunt some really thick stuff down here in MS and 3rd to bloodshot as little meat as possible. Below are the loads I'm thinking I'm going to try. All of this is obviously pending the gun actually liking to shoot them accurately but I thought this might be a good starting point to narrow it down while I wait for my new scope to come in.

Nosler Trophy Grade 165gr Accubond
Barnes Vor-Tx 150gr TTSX
Barnes Vor-Tx 130gr TTSX
Federal Premium 168gr Berger Classic
Hornady Precision Hunter 178gr ELD-X

Appreciate the help and opinions y'all.
You have already got them listed in the correct order, Nosler , #1.

Accubonds but I would drop to 150 grain with the shorter barrel. 150 grain Partitions would be another good choice if you can find factory loaded ones.

Remington core lokt or the new tipped core lokt (which is likely the Sierra Game Changer bullet) would also be good choices. I killed a mountain of deer using core lokt bullets when I lived in Mississippi.

I like Barnes bullets but they need velocity to perform best and they don't typically leave the blood trails that a cup/core bullet does.

Start with the cheapest and go up in that order, once you find the "one" buy a bunch of the same lot #.
If those MS. Whitetail are anything like Tx. Whitetail they wont soak up much lead before they give up the ghost, so I would try to keep it cheap, just about any cup and core S.P. Bullet 125grs. or above will flatten any whitetail your apt to shoot with it.
If you go much heavier than 150 your not going to get enough speed out of your 16.5" barrel for reliable expansion at distance.
In the mean time you can be gathering yourself some reloading equipment, maybe components will come back by then.

150 PowerPoint Winchesters or 150 Corelokt Remington are where I would start. Federal Fusion is another good option. Hornady SST also. 308 and whitetail is pretty simple, hit them decent with just about anything 150 grain and you will find them in less than 30 yards if they don't pile up sooner. I use 168 A-max handloads lately but that really is only because my 308 shoots them very well and I have a bunch of them, my son has shot a handful of deer with 150 PowerPoints and not one has made it over 20 yards, 3 out of 6 dropped on the spot. The PowerPoints are less damaging to the meat as well if you get a little too far forward going in or out, the A-max will ruin shoulders quickly.

The amax/eldm would get my vote. In my opinion bonded bullets arent needed on whitetail at 308 velocities. The 168gr amax does a number on whitetail I have used that bullet for years loaded to 2600fps in a 20" to take multiple whitetail.

For 300 yards and in I think you can use just about any popular bullet that shoots well in your gun, but just make sure you match the POA to the design of the bullet. I would stay under 168-ish grains so you have decent velocity.

For whitetails, unless you are looking for a high BC bullet I think it is hard to beat the Nosler BT's. I have had AB's pencil through whitetail up close. But if you put either one where it needs to be the deer will not go too far.

The Federal Fusion 308 is a really good option at a good price. Bonded bullet too. I saw some on the shelf at Cabelas, so should be readily available. The Hornady Precision Hunter 178's are good too. Honestly, it's hard to go too wrong with a 308.