Looking for gunsmith that can fix a broken stock

otis332

I am in need of a gun smith that can fix a broken wood stock on a winchester m70. The last smith I spoke too, when I asked if he fix's stocks after a slight pause and a maybe answer, I didnt feel comfortable with the answer.

I know is takes somebody that knows what they are doing to fix a broken stock, to make it look decent. I am in Utah, but I will ship if needed.

I will try to get a picture posted later.

Maybe I'm up in the night on this repair. I can describe this as where the action sits in the stock, above the magazine box, about right in the middle the stock is broken in half on both sides.

gun.jpg

gun1.jpg

270 win.

332, more info. Caliber and a couple of good bright pics. There is a stock repair guy in Mesa, Az that does outstanding repair and flawless refinishing. He did a stock for me and the work is outstanding. Some stocks if broken in certain places aren't repairable.

I have broke three different wood stocks while they were in a scabbard on a horse. I don't use wood anymore but seeing what you have above I would replace it without hesitation.

332, that is the last spot I'd want a break. Agree, bite the bullet and get a new stock. On the low end a Boyd's and sky's the limit the other way. Hope your action/barrel are OK.

I know this doesn't help, But this was a bad stock to start with. The grain should run parallel with the barrel channel for strength and only change direction as it passes through the pistol grip (Hopefully turning slightly downward to go straight through the pistol grip). After that it can swirl or do all sorts of things for looks without weakening the stock.

Not sure how you broke it but it was destine to happen with the grain running the way it did.

When looking for a stock, always look for the basic grain to run parallel with the barrel and you will be ok. (It can have figure but the straight grain will give it strength.

It should be replaced because it will brake again because of the grain direction if miss handled or subject to heavy recoil.

J E CUSTOM

It should be replaced because it will brake again because of the grain direction if miss handled or subject to heavy recoil.

J E CUSTOM
Find some "bozo" that'll put that back together, have it break again and put splinters in your face or eye and see how much you are 'saving', then! Some things shouldn't be fixed!

Is that a Featherweight style stock? If it is, there is a new one for sale on Gunbroker.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.