Looking for general knowledge and information on Mule Deer hunting and their patterns in the mountains.

jd126

I will be hunting the southern part of Colorado on my first Mule Deer hunt during the 3rd rifle season. I am looking for general information on their patterns and behavior during this time of year. In the past few elk hunts I feel like I have not seen a lot of deer. It might have been my hunting style of staying on the move and covering ground. I have caught myself, along with screwing up and jumping a big bull, hiking and trying to get somewhere instead of slowing my role and hunting on my way there. My eyes were always on the lookout for elk so I could have walked right past a muley laying up. I have noticed they are not near as skittish as the whitetail I grew up hunting here in Texas. I have seen more in the lower elevation( 6k-8k ft) areas more so than up high( 9k+) It sounds like it is still pre rut for them this time of year? Might only move for food and water during morning & evening?
If you care to share your experiences and maybe some hunting knowledge I would be glad to read about it. If you have a link or two to some good articles I would appreciate that as well. Thanks

My daughter beat me to it and took her first mule deer here in Texas during a drawn youth hunt a few years back. Guess its about time I share a picture of it... Maybe one of these days I'll post the story about the hunt. It was a blast

A7F89392-DAA1-446E-AA0E-11CD2B660BCD.jpeg
5B2092E9-6F1E-4545-8C75-B92E1E558A1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that you are hunting for deer, you will only see elk.

In my experience, you are 110% correct. Last year I did see a mule deer buck that was so big for a few seconds I thought he was a bull. Absolutely massive. & No deer tag