Mule deer and the 284 win

ttfreestyle

Going on my first mule deer hunt in Wyoming this year, it is a horse pack hunt so I don't want to carry my heavy 300 rum. I have a light 284 win with a 26 inch barrel, 9 twist I am considering taking. Is the 284 a viable caliber for this application? What is the real world max range for it using quality components? I do hand load. Thanks for any replys.

My .284 is capable of taking game at 800 yards if I do my part.
I scored a nice goat at 675 yards in Wyoming with it. One shot, down he went.
So you should be able to have great results with yours. Just make sure you have lots of trigger time before you venture out.

You haven't told us any specifics about your load, but with that in mind you should be good out to 600, and possibly more. Just practice for it.

I am shooting a 180 hybrid with 52.3 rl17 with good accuracy, I may need to switch to a better hunting bullet and work a diff load though . I have read mixed reviews on hunting with a Berger hybrid. I would be happy with 600 ish capability.

That load should do it. I don't know about the terrain where you're hunting, but I've always been able to get to 500 yards or less with mule deer. Last one took was 435yds...with a lowly 7-08.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.