looking for a load 220swift with 69grain matchkings

bigrich954rr

whats a good load to push these at in a stock remington700 220 swift. trying to load with H380 powder

Your best bet is to go with a 55g NBT or BLitzking. I tried even the 60g vmax and it would not stabilize. No way is the 69g going to stabilize. I have often heard that 1 in 14" will not stabilize 55g plastic tip bullets, but I haven't seen it in my rifles, yet. 55g NBT at 3900-3950fps is about as good as your gonna get out of a 220 swift and 1 1in 14" Good luck!

bigrich,
I have a 12 twist and can stabilize the 69's. I use RL-22 powder at 3400fps. I can run faster but the accuracy goes away.

Why did you put a 12 twist on a Swift ?

I am gonna get a 1 in 8 for my swift ordered from one of these guys on here soon to shoot the 75 amax.

Read some posts here about this very subject. The is some good info. Rebarrel Swift I think was the post title.

Freebore, I am not doubting that you did, but I am amazed that you could get the 12 twist to stabilise the Sierra 69 grain HPBT in your .220 Swift.

In about 1986, I built a custom .220 Swift Ackley Improved (Rem 700, Shilen 25.25 inch 12 twist SS barrel) and was unable to stabilise either the 68 grain Hornady HPBT, or 69 grain Sierra HPBT, despite reacing velocities of 3,700 fps.

The barrel twist when I measured it, turned out to be a 1 twist in 12.10 inches, but I am sure that the extra .1 wasn't the difference between full profile bullet keyholes and stabilising.

There must obviously be other barrel dimension factors apart from the twist that play a part in the stabilisation of the bullet. Regards, Brian.

Sendaro_Man
Sorry for the late reply. I put a 12 twist because I built it to shoot the 55 BalTips at 3900 fps. It does this very well. I shoot PD in Wy out of Douglas when I go west. The 22-250 was just falling short past 450+ yards. The Swift does much better out to 500-700 range, I mentioned Wy...WIND...so I could not connect well at all at the 700 mark so that winter I worked up the 69's and they worked the for me the next time I went out west.
I want a switch barrel (I shoot a Savage) www.sharpshootersupply.com/ ) in an 8 twist to shoot the 80's. A guy told me that swift case and 80 grainers is just awesome w/8 or 9 twist. I haven't heard much on the 75 A-max but you have my interest.

Brian,
I could run the 69's right up there in the 3500+ range but they would NOT stabilize or group well at all. I slowed them down (to my dismay) and the groups came right in nice and tight. Almost the same POI as the fast 55's too so it works well for me. Those 69's just take those PD's and flip em'2 or 3 times before coming back down at 700 yrds. I'm either getting a 243AI barrel to go to a 6mm or a fast twist 22 bore, probably the later as I really like the Swift and there is good brass available also. The standard Swift does have alot of brass flow though and Clareance Hammonds lives 800 yards from me. He has an Improved 220 Swift reamer which changes the brass flow to almost nill.
By the way I have found that N160 and BR-2's work the best for me for the 55's.

Kevin, Thats ironic about the 69 grain Sierra's shooting much better at around 3,400 fps than 3,500+ in your Swift, as I subsequently found that the 69 grain Sierra will shoot accurately up to at least 3,930 fps.

In 1988, after my experience with the 220 Swift AI, I subsequently built a .224 Clark using a Shilen 1 in 10 twist barrel, and achieved sub 0.5 moa accuracy with a variety of powders between 3,850 and 3,930 fps. Even at those velocities the 69 grain Sierra never showed a hint of coming apart.

After 1600 shots as a .224 Clark, that Shilen 10 twist barrel was set back and rechambered to the 22/250AI, and the velocity with the 69 grain Sierra dropped back to the 3,350 - 3,430 range. Accuracy is slightly improved with numerous groups in the .25 - .4moa range.

There are numerous improved versions of the .220 Swift, but the 40 degree shoulder version that I used certainly reduced brass flow to a minimum, and increased the capacity of the standard .220 Swift from about 50.5 grains to 55.4 grains. Hope that the above is of some interest. Brian.

Rich-- Probably the best bullet that u'll be able to shoot out of that 14 twist would be the 52 JLK Low Drag. It has a BC of .302, which will beat the factory polymer tips by quite a margin. Give it a try--

www.swampworks.com

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.