Looking for a good start load with R17

1sniper

I was wondering where to start with reloader 17 in a 6.5x284 shooting 140gr. bergers with CCI BR primers. should I just start with H4350 minimum as a start load because it is similar. If anyone can run it threw quick load that would be great. Thank you

I was wondering where to start with reloader 17 in a 6.5x284 shooting 140gr. bergers with CCI BR primers. should I just start with H4350 minimum as a start load because it is similar. If anyone can run it threw quick load that would be great. Thank you

I shoot a 6x284. My rifles loves that powder. In my gun starting at H4350 loads would work fine. But those are my H4350 loads not what is listed in Sierra manual. Those loads are milk toast.

48 grains is safe, 48.5 would be a better starting load, at times 48 will not fully expand the case and I get low pressure signs, from my rechambered Husqvarna I don't have that issue, with the Savage I do. I have done a lot of load testing with RL17 and Berger 140 and 130 gr. VLD bullets with the 6.5-284 send me a message and tomorrow I will send you everything I have on it.

I can't speak for every rifle of course on min and max loads but I can definitely get you in the ball park and am absolutely certain that, unless there is a problem with your gun, 48-48.5 will be a safe starting point. Max is about 51.5-52 depending on the outside temp and seating depth. Temp starts to give it problems around 87 degrees past 90 my max is 51 and that is with a slightly cratered but not flattened primer. Beyond that in the heat and you start getting real hard on your brass. Remember that this powder burns around the rate of 4350 but the characteristics are altogether different, it doesn't build pressure as quickly and I assume that is what makes the starting loads a little higher. I get the best ES and SD numbers at any velocity with RL17 when comparing to all others, and I have tried everything but N560 and MRP that I can think of. If I can get my hands on them I will try them as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.