Looking for a lh rifle

My Son is a Lefty. He has both left and right hand rifles. He definitely prefers to shoot left handed rifles. He has three LH in 300 Win Mag. One Winchester Classic (CRF) and two Remington 700s. I'm looking at a LH Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag on Gunbroker, for him now. You will definitely have a "Lefty Tax". They run about $100 to $300 more than RH rifles, for the same model and chambering. The bid for the LH Remington 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag on Gunbroker is starting at $649.00 plus shipping!

I m a lefty too. I shot right handed bolts for over 20 years before I ever owned a lefty. Buy a left bolt!!! I am slowly replacing all my right bolts with lefts except for a bench/prairie dog gun that I am working on putting together.

DGarret said it perfect! Handle them all and see what fit and feels the best for you. I like to still hunt so I need to be able to be on target and ready to fire in an instant at times. When I check a gun before buying i like to shoulder it with a scope on and check for fit, feel,safety funtion, swing feel, and my version of natural point of aim. To do this I pick a animal,picture or something on a far wall or outside. I focus on the spot i want my crosshairs to land on. Then I shut my eyes, shoulder my rifle(taking the safety off while shouldering), then open my eye. If the gun fits me then the crosshairs are right where I was focused before I shut my eyes. Remington and savage for me. I wish the little kimbers didn't have a wing safety! Sure most of the time you don't have to take a shot that fast-but when you do it's nice to be able to!

Ruger American rifles, including the Predator versions, can be had in standard cartridges in LH but, not LH in the magnums. At 200 yards, my son's LH Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor shoots TEN round groups under 1 MOA, if the wind is relatively calm. His LH Browning A-Bolt Micro-Hunter in 223 Rem shoots 52gr HPBT Black Hills Match in the .3s at 100yards but, doesn't shoot anything over 55gr flat base bullets worth a darn and can't stabilize anything over 62gr. It SUFFERS from a 1 in 12" twist rate! He also has a LH Remington 700 BDL in 7mm-08, a LH Remington 700 BDL 30-06, a LH Winchester Classic 30-06 and a LH custom Ruger M77 308 Win with a featherweight 20" Bartlein 5R SS barrel. His favorite is his LH custom Remington 700 with a 28" SS fluted 1 in 9" twist light varmint contour Broughton barrel in 300 Win Mag. Darn that thing shoots good!

My son is a left handed shooter - I went with savage for his 6.5 creed. He saved up his penny's and we justed ordered the new savage 110 storm in 223 for him - those new savage accufit accustocks look awesome. It should get here next week and I'll get a better idea of fit, finish and performance. They have quite a few left hand offerings and every savage I own has been a shooter.

Funny - My son is right handed but left eye dominant, I am exactly the opposite - left handed and right eye dominant. I just taught my self to shoot right handed. So when he got old enough I bought him left handed rifles and made him learn to shoot left handed. He has a right hand 17hmr, but prefers his left hand bolt guns.

My son is a left handed shooter - I went with savage for his 6.5 creed. He saved up his penny's and we justed ordered the new savage 110 storm in 223 for him - those new savage accufit accustocks look awesome. It should get here next week and I'll get a better idea of fit, finish and performance. They have quite a few left hand offerings and every savage I own has been a shooter.

Funny - My son is right handed but left eye dominant, I am exactly the opposite - left handed and right eye dominant. I just taught my self to shoot right handed. So when he got old enough I bought him left handed rifles and made him learn to shoot left handed. He has a right hand 17hmr, but prefers his left hand bolt guns.

Have to go with the dominant eye!

I have an older cousin (now in his 60s) that is left eye dominant but, shoots right handed. He uses his left eye when shooting, which means his head is tilted severely while he is trying to aim, rifle or shotgun. He can't even hit the barn at 50 yards, forget the door!

It is so important to teach the youngsters proper shooting form and follow through... Once they learn anything wrong, it is exponentially harder to teach them the proper method later.

Have to go with the dominant eye!

I have an older cousin (now in his 60s) that is left eye dominant but, shoots right handed. He uses his left eye when shooting, which means his head is tilted severely while he is trying to aim, rifle or shotgun. He can't even hit the barn at 50 yards, forget the door!

It is so important to teach the youngsters proper shooting form and follow through... Once they learn anything wrong, it is exponentially harder to teach them the proper method later.

I use to do the same thing until I scoped myself with a 270 trying to hold the gun left handed and shoot with my right eye, I was maybe 12- that is when I switched to shooting right handed:)

I am another right handed left eye dominant shooter, who now shoots (and have for a number of years) shot left handed. I have 5 left handed rifles, which I have found easier to handle than shooting a right handed rifle left handed, especially if it has a cheek piece. My left bolt, right port single shot 6xc is my favorite.

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around here for some time now trying to gather as much information as I can before I make my purchase. I'm in the market for a LH 300WM that will be used mostly for hunting. I want to get a good platform that I can use for long distance shooting in the future.

After doing a lot of research. I find myself getting caught up in the twist rates on the different rifles. I've read that 1:8 is ideal but 1:10 is all I can find.

Am I putting too much of an emphasis on twist? It seems that if so many manufacturers use a 1:10 twist then it must be just fine, right?

Any suggestions for around $1200?

Thanks
A 1-10 twist will work just fine. For $1200 you can get a Tikka T3 in left hand and still have plenty left over for a decent scope. They are light, though...and will probably kick a little more than most would want.

MQ1

Oh, yea....I'm an unabashed lefty too...and I've had (and still have) plenty of right handed rifles over the years. If you are hunting from a bench, a right handed rifle is fine, but in my humble opinion, if you are shoulder firing your rifle there is nothing better than a good fitting left handed action if you are a lefty.

MQ1

Am I putting too much of an emphasis on twist? It seems that if so many manufacturers use a 1:10 twist then it must be just fine, right?

Any suggestions for around $1200?

Thanks

Don't get hung up on twist. If you plan on precision shots beyond transonic with long heavy boat tails then it might be a topic, but a factory barrel for a .300 win mag are commonly 1:10 and will stabilize completely fine for hunting distances. Unless you plan on taking game beyond 1500y or so? At which point id be curious what type of big game, and what type of bullet you are considering

Have a good look at the Tikka T3X. For the $1,200 you're wanting to say inside of, you can almost get your rifle and optics covered.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.