Looking for a good LRF Leica 1200 Scan or Swaro 8x30???

Totch94

I am looking to pick up a good rangefinder that can be reliable out to 1000-1200 yards. I am looking at the Leica 1200 Scan and the Swaro 8x30. I realize that the Swaro is a good bit more, but want to buy the best and not the cheapest within reason. I also like the Swaro's tripod mount receptical that the leica does not have. What input would some of you give me and is there anything else that I should be looking at instead of these??? Best places to buy???

I have owned both and if you want 1200 yard performance in any and all conditions its the Swarovski no contest........... I tested them side by side for over 4 months.....The Swarovski wil simply out range the Leica and by a considerable margin...I have ranged Elk at over 1800 yards with the Swaro.The Leica will not come close..............
thumb.gif

Last edited:
Swarovski will out range the Leica so if it range your looking for go with Swarovski. As far as features and weight Leica 1200 is a better options and still will range 1200 max. I would try to search this forum and see if any user has one for a good reasonable price.

Just a thought ? Had you thought of changing your optics at the same time and going to leica geovid binos ? From personal experience I have found them far superior in a hunting situation, than fishing around for a second range finder that only has a 7x or 8x power. I found that although they have great optics the small objective and small magnification gave me problems in poor light when you had little time to setup on a moving animal, with a 10 sec window to aquire, pick your shot and shoot.

See the animal and range all in one.. set up and shoot.. easy vs

See the animal, drop the binos, dig out the rangefinder, relocate the animal ...if you can . range.. then set up to shoot.

I personally found the first option far easier. It just depends on the purpose and situation you use it in I guess ??

Just another thought ??

Cheers

Both are good LRF. The Swaro will outrange the Leica, hands down. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Whichever you decide to go with, shoot me an email or private message. We've got plenty of both instock.

http://www.adorama.com/NELRM2000PRO.html
I think it was this site that had a very good thread of the performance of the newcon 2000. It would easily range with the swarovski, there were even pics the guy had taken through it with a camera that were on reflective objects out to 2800 yards!!!!
The best part is they can be had for under 500 bux!
I am not certain it was this site, but perhaps accuratereloading? I don't think the link I tried to give will work, but if you go to adorama, there is a good review written by a guy that purchased one, good luck,
Cdog.

Well, I did it! I just picked up a new Swarovski 8x30 Rangefinder. Was stopped on the way home and ranging road signs at 1250 yards. In MS you have to look for places to range farther than that! I'll try to put it through the paces in the next few days and report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts