Looking for a custom rifle maker - high quality

For all of you with experience in having custom long range hunting rifles built, who in this country is at the top of their game? High quality, meticulous in detail AND will use a brand new reamer?

I am looking at two new long range hunting rifles: a 300 WM and a 300 PRC.
Composite stock. Bolt action. Tack driver.
NOT looking for a heavy bench rest Gun not an MSR.

I'd consider another Cooper but their wait is wait too long. I need these by next hunting season Oct 2022).
I have looked too at Fierce.
I have looked too at Seekins.

REALLY sour on Browning… quality has died and they are resting on their laurels and their name. John Browning would remove his name from that organization! (This coming from a former member of the Browning Collectors Association and owner of over 20 Browning rifles).

I have talked to several people that have gone the custom route and they all insist that a key piece is using a brand new reamer.

I am not looking for some guy that can throw together a rifle in his garage but someone that prides themselves on their quality and their reputation.

Recommendations???
:D Gunwerks (Home)

Customer Review

Gunwerks family hunt

I have no idea who's feeding you the "brand new reamer" crap, but that's what it is,,, crap! Just more interdnet mis-information.. I've been 'driving' chambering reamers for 30+ yrs, the tool is either sharp, or it's not! It depends upon how the tool has been 'driven' much more than whether it's cut 5-10 chambers or more. Using a muzzle flush, many perfect chambers can be cut, provided the 'driver' has a clue. With a reamer that's cut a chamber or 2 (or more) the physical specs are positively known (like free bore and dia., throat, neck dia., body characteristics, etc). In other words, the tool has been physically proven. Over the years the use of a 'new' reamer to do a job has been the request of a potential client. I find a reason not to except their work. I am the only person who has used my reamers, I know when they need to be sharpened and when they don't. Any experienced gunsmith/machinist would know when his tools are dull and when they're not! Only the new-be/inexperienced will try to push it 'one more time'.
Agree with you 100%!! I bet you have some "favorite" reamers too, ones you just "feel" are right and cut blanks into hammers over and over?? That's what I love about my rifle smith, he knows his tools and has lots of experience with them. Recently, I detected a little hint of excitement when I asked him to turn two 6.5x47 chambers for me when he replied "I have a good reamer for that"! Man does he ever!!

For all of you with experience in having custom long range hunting rifles built, who in this country is at the top of their game? High quality, meticulous in detail AND will use a brand new reamer?

I'd consider another Cooper but their wait is wait too long. I need these by next hunting season Oct 2022).

REALLY sour on Browning… quality has died and they are resting on their laurels and their name. John Browning would remove his name from that organization! (This coming from a former member of the Browning Collectors Association and owner of over 20 Browning rifles).

I have talked to several people that have gone the custom route and they all insist that a key piece is using a brand new reamer.

I am not looking for some guy that can throw together a rifle in his garage but someone that prides themselves on their quality and their reputation.

Recommendations???
i have many customs done by benchmark barrels, in fact they tell me i am their numbers one non commercial client. i dont believe you will do better anywhere. their qc is meticulous, they are all long range shooters themselves. they will use any components you specify. getting a new reamer may set your time line back a bunch. the last custom reamer i ordered took over a year, but it was a wildcat. call and talk to benchmark, they do cut and button rifled, steel or carbon fibre. i have many,expensive rifles, my favorites for hunting and target are benchmark. tell them doc baker sent you. good luck

Ryan Pierce (Piercision Rifles) just built me a 300 PRC that arrived a few weeks ago. He had a variety of components in stock so from order to delivery it was about 5 months based on what I wanted.
Dallas Lane (Lane Precision Rifles) built me one about 8 years ago. I'm trying to shoot the last of the barrel out so i can get it back to him for something new

Both rifles are silly accurate and both guys were great to work with.
If I built another rifle I'd have a hard time choosing between the two of them.
I talked to a few other builders, really liked their work and discussion, but feel blessed i picked two that I am personally happy with.

We're doing a really good job on supply chain right now, I wouldn't be surprised with build times under two months!

I think more importantly, regarding reamers, we've gone through all of the pain that can possibly be experienced in this area. Just make sure the dimensions cut are on purpose, and with purpose. There is a lot of following in our industry and sometimes things get adopted that are not good ideas.
Sure appreciate you guys. Was great meeting you in person when we toured the shop and picked out a rife. Loving my Magnus 7-LRM w/Proof. My 17 yr old daughter took a whitetail doe at 830 yd the other year - perfect lung shot. You won't be disappointed with a GW rifle system or the support behind it.

Attachments

• 7-LRM GW Magnus 180 Hyrbrid target pic.jpg
    7-LRM GW Magnus 180 Hyrbrid target pic.jpg
    746.3 KB · Views: 45

Recommendations???
Check out Kauger Arm's
Hazlehurst Georgia, I've got a 28 Nosler that is a tack driver

Recommendations???
I have used several but my vote goes to Ryan Pierce of Piercision rifles. His work is flawless and 2nd to none in my opinion

gr8 rifles, $ IS ASTRONOMICAL, in my opinion.
I know what you mean. Cost is relative to the shooter and their needs. You get a lot of support with GW. In fact, when we had some trouble with grouping, they took the rifle and updated the action, barrel, and repainted the stock along with range validation and the whole works - at NO CHARGE. Even threw in 100 free rounds of ammo. This is worth something to me.

Recommendations???
I'm currently having a 300 RUM barreled action built by Jim Borden on one of his Timberline magnum actions. Using a #5 Hart barrel and I have my McMillan mcswirly stock ordered should be done in a couple months but I went with Jim because I Fealt he's as good as they get when it comes to rifle machine work. This will be topped with Nightforce lightweight rings and Nightforce NXS 5-22-50 pretty excited but it's about a 6 month wait for Jim which I find a short time to wait for premier work.