longrange and silencers?

jeepnsammys

Was wanting to know what is the thoughts on shooting 500 and beyond with a silencer on a rifle? What i mean is will this have drawbacks or do alot of you guys shoot with them cause they help in some way more so then not having the silencer on? Would this help with ES and SD or have no effect? gun) I have a couple of rifles with silencers and am in the process of developing loads for longrange (5-1000yds) whats your input?

Was wanting to know what is the thoughts on shooting 500 and beyond with a silencer on a rifle? What i mean is will this have drawbacks or do alot of you guys shoot with them cause they help in some way more so then not having the silencer on? Would this help with ES and SD or have no effect? gun) I have a couple of rifles with silencers and am in the process of developing loads for longrange (5-1000yds) whats your input?

I believe the only draw back is weight, everything else is win win

I use a shark suppressor. Accuracy is great I have shot several 5 shot groups under 10 inches at a mile. My rifle actually shoots better groups with a scilencers than a break.

I would shoot it at distance to see exactly what it does both with and without, both cold and then after it heats up after multiple shots. I have a lot of customers that run suppressors for work and sometimes compete with them but they all say you need to positively document the changes in point of impact. It's not so much a matter of accuracy as much as knowing what, if any, point of impact change you will have. The only drawback I'd see to hunting with a suppressor is the added length. Obviously suppressors make the best muzzle brakes too so that's a plus.

Marc

One of our steel match guys (and old 1k shooter) took a stock savage 308 to the IBS nationals with his can on and shot two back to back 5-6 inch groups for 5 shots at 1000. which by the way placed him in the middle of the pack at least.

Pretty sure a suppressor does not hinder in any way. :D

About half the guys shooting a local steel match out to 900 shoot cans and trust me, the suppressors are not a detriment. I just ordered the new Liberty 30 cal magnum suppressor in titanium.

Right now only the Thunderbeast 30-P1, Liberty Vicory Magnum (not rated for the Rum) and a couple othes will take the magnum cartridtges. If I was going to the RUM and larger, get the 338 rated cans and in titanium. I would go threaded, and just buy an adapter IF the gun is already built and if building one have the smith thread the brake for the suppresor threading.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts