Nosler Longrange Accubond

BignGreen: What did the bullet do once contacting the shoulder? I am not necessarily targeting a shoulder every shot, I personally like to go for lungs, but it is always nice to know I can break a shoulder if need be. That's why I love the partitions so much.

Carson

Load Partitions for close range use and carry them in your magazine. They're as reliable as any bullet ever commercially manufactured.

Then you'll only need to select a bullet for longer range use. You'll like your long range bullet to be accurate, have a reasonably high BC value, and expand at lower impact velocities. You'll almost always have time to load your long range cartridge/bullet single shot style.

This will make your bullet selection process relatively easy, compared to looking for one bullet that performs better than all the rest at both long range, and short range.

Load Partitions for close range use and carry them in your magazine. They're as reliable as any bullet ever commercially manufactured.

Then you'll only need to select a bullet for longer range use. You'll like your long range bullet to be accurate, have a reasonably high BC value, and expand at lower impact velocities. You'll almost always have time to load your long range cartridge/bullet single shot style.

This will make your bullet selection process relatively easy, compared to looking for one bullet that performs better than all the rest at both long range, and short range.

Funny you should mention that. Last weekend I loaded up some 200 grain partitions, and the 200 Grain Berger Hybrids I had been shooting to see how close Point of Impact was between the two. It was within a half an inch. I have debated keeping my gun sighted in dead on for the bergers, but keeping the partitions in my gun for any shot I need to make quickly, and if a longer shot presents itself, I "should" have adequate time to load the Bergers in the gun. Has anyone else tried this before? Or maybe I'm just overthinking this too much...

Carson

Carson,

I do that very thing all the time with my 7SAUM. My long range load with the 162 Amax is to long for the S/A magazine so I load the 160 gr Accubond for general use and if a long shot presents I just switch out the AB for the Amax.

Chris

Nosler LRAB bullets are soft. They will leave big holes on deer. I've got a couple pics in the deer hunting forum showing my results with a 300 RUM using a 190 ABLR at 3200 FPS on two deer shot at 70 yds.

Hey Buttermilk can you post those pic's...I would love to see them!

Funny you should mention that. Last weekend I loaded up some 200 grain partitions, and the 200 Grain Berger Hybrids I had been shooting to see how close Point of Impact was between the two. It was within a half an inch. I have debated keeping my gun sighted in dead on for the bergers, but keeping the partitions in my gun for any shot I need to make quickly, and if a longer shot presents itself, I "should" have adequate time to load the Bergers in the gun. Has anyone else tried this before? Or maybe I'm just overthinking this too much...

Carson

phorwrath took the words out of my keyboard. Zero would be close then you have the best for either situation you encounter.

I doubt the LR AB's are going to do any better or worse penetration wise than a standard AB.

To that end I think we all overthink the bullet performance side of things too often. I've used just about every bullet out there on game at one point and bottom line is that if you put it in the vitals it will kill the animal. Remington CoreLok, Speer, Nosler AB, Nosler Partition, Nosler Ballistic Tip, Sierra GK, Sierra MK, Berger VLD Target, Berger VLD Hunting, Berger Hybrid Target, Berger Hybrid Hunting, Hornady SST, Hornady A-Max...and probably a few I've missed. But if I did my job they killed the animal....albeit all deer and antelope to this point.

phorwrath took the words out of my keyboard. Zero would be close then you have the best for either situation you encounter.

I doubt the LR AB's are going to do any better or worse penetration wise than a standard AB.

To that end I think we all overthink the bullet performance side of things too often. I've used just about every bullet out there on game at one point and bottom line is that if you put it in the vitals it will kill the animal. Remington CoreLok, Speer, Nosler AB, Nosler Partition, Nosler Ballistic Tip, Sierra GK, Sierra MK, Berger VLD Target, Berger VLD Hunting, Berger Hybrid Target, Berger Hybrid Hunting, Hornady SST, Hornady A-Max...and probably a few I've missed. But if I did my job they killed the animal....albeit all deer and antelope to this point.

I have considered using two bullets for hunting, and that very well could be what I end up doing. I don't think you can find a bullet that can truly be used for both short range and long range, and have the bullet perform how I want it to.

eshorebwhntr : I agree with your statement, I do think we overthink it to a point. For deer and antelope, a well placed shot will bring them down, but I'm not sure I would categorize elk in that statement. Elk are such tough animals, it takes a lot to bring them down, let alone break a shoulder and still have enough energy in the bullet to continue through the vitals and out the other shoulder.

Carson,

I do that very thing all the time with my 7SAUM. My long range load with the 162 Amax is to long for the S/A magazine so I load the 160 gr Accubond for general use and if a long shot presents I just switch out the AB for the Amax.

Chris

So they must shoot close enough you don't notice a difference, or you have your gun zeroed for the Amax?

This might be what route I choose. I absolutely love the partition. That is until any amount of wind kicks up and the shot is over 400 yards ;)

When I first started shooting Bergers years ago I carried and zeroed in for the Accubonds then I would shoot the Bergers and just input my zero point in the program, since I'm dialing long range it does not matter where you start from. I did that for years till after tracking performance I had far fewer hits per kill with the Bergers then I dropped the first load.

So they must shoot close enough you don't notice a difference, or you have your gun zeroed for the Amax?

This might be what route I choose. I absolutely love the partition. That is until any amount of wind kicks up and the shot is over 400 yards ;)

I have the rifle sighted in for the Amax load @ 100 yds, the AB load just happened to hit 3/4" lower. I use the AB out to 250 then switch.

Chris

Does anyone have any pic's of ABLR's recovered from game??

I would love to see what they look like.

I can tell you 210 ABLR do there job at long range 700 yards on a elk went thru both shoulders both lungs were all but gone went 40 yards found the bullet in the skin on the other side about half the bullet left

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.