longrange 300 win mag load

mceads

Can somebody help with a longrange deer-hog load for the 300 win mag? This is my first time loading this caliber.Also bullet recommendations please.

Six,

The 300 winnie is one of my favorite calibers . That being said my loads and what is good for you may be a bit different .

That being said I can give you some starting loads to look for what is accurate in your rifle .

Starting at 73.2 grs. of RL 22 and working up to a max of 74 grs. under a 190 smk you are likely to find a really good load for your winnie .

I am seating 25 thou off so that will take care of any hunting situations . My rifle is a custom with a match bbl and much tweaking by Chris Matthews at Long Shot rifles . It has routinely shot .5 moa with an occasional 1/4 moa thrown in when all the planets were aligned and so on .

74 grs is where my combo gets together with es of 18 and sd of 6 . These arent bench rest quality numbers but will work good for the shooter of flesh . That is also on the ragged edge of pressure ! That is also on ther ragged edge of pressure ! Work your way up is my recommendation .

This load was arrived at independtly on my part only to find out later that it is a load that was reached / recommended by Sierra to the military . I believe that I have that right but anyone please correct any errors on my part . That may take a lot of someones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I use Lapua brass , fed 215 gm primers and only neck size with a Lee collet neck die untill I reach the 8 or soi reload mark and then bump the body .0015 with a Reddind body6 die and this bump is checked with a Redding instant case comparator.

Jim B

My favorite load in the 300 Win is winn. cases,federal 215 primers 81 grains of H-1000 and 180grain AccuBond or TXS. The H-1000 gave me only a 5 fps extreme spread and that is the least amount of extreme spread of the powders that I tried....
I hope this helps............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jwp475,

I had the same low es experience with my 300 winnie and h1000 . What was screwy was the groups werent there ! That is to say they werent as small as groups I was routinely shooting with the RL 22 . Did you keep any records of your exp with this ?

If so I would love to hear it . I was dumbfounded ( a normal state of mind actually ) with the things that were happening with the h 1000 .

Jim B

jimm,

I'm ordering the Lee aniversary kit because I used one before for loading 7mm mag., is the collet dies the way to go? I used the Pacesetter dies before. Which dies will I need? Thanks again.
Mike

Jimm I had some pictures posted in the bullets barrels and balistics portin last shot with this load at 300 yards. 1 group was 1 1/4" one was 3/4" and these were 5 shot groups. I also shot a 3 group at 550 yards that measured 1 3/4" and I went back to the bench and could not leave well enough alone,so I fired 2 more rounds and I opened it up to 3 3/4".

I have been very happy with this load. This is same load that I shot my Antelope at 777 yards in Wyoming year before last..........

I should have added that the last 2 shots in the 550 yard group moved hroizontal as the wind picked up. Most other shots were at greater distance and the intent was to work on first round hits and not on group size,once I knew that I had a good load..........

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.