Longest Coyote Kill

720yds is the farthest I've been able to take a yote. 22-250 with 50gr'ers doesn't exactly shine at that distance.

749 meters with a c3a1 308 . 3.2-17 us optics 168 berger . perfect snow covered field bedded down . took 3 shots but he waited for me to get dialed in ...

Good shooting, guys! And, good question from Cold Finger. Many of you posted your ranging technique but it would be interesting to know how you all are getting your ranges. The 650 yard coyote my son shot was on the snow. Even with a carcass to range on, my Leica BRF's (1200 yard technology) couldn't get a reading. We had to range a standing cow but in those conditions it still took several tries to get a range even on an upright animal. I've since purchased a PLRF 05 to try for my 1000 yard coyote. From what I've seen of the PLRF, I think it would have bounced the 650 yard coyote or the carcass pretty easily in the snow but have never tried it in those conditions since. These were in flat fields. Broken terrain makes it much easier to hit a range. Please include your ranging equipment/technique for your shots. It might shorten our LR coyote learning curve.

I too use a PLRF-05. I have hit coyotes past 1200yds in the snow. They are an incredible piece of hardware.

Orkan ; I just read your article on FFP+SFP reticules . Execellent article. I see you have other good articles on your sight. As I'm just getting started on this l.r. shooting its all a learning curve that seems to take me forever to climb. I do think many predator hunters would benifit. From a FFP Christmas tree reticule . As they usually take off after the first shot.

I'm surprised there isn't a lot more discussion on these forums dealing with hitting a running predator on purpose.

I will look into the range finder you use. As accurate ranging is the first most important.factor in a long range hit.

I'm surprised there isn't a lot more discussion on these forums dealing with hitting a running predator on purpose.
CTF, I'm glad you found the articles to be useful. I'd like to think they help take the edge off some of the more complicated aspects of precision rifle shooting. :)

If you ever have any questions, or would like to press me for a more precise explanation of anything, feel free to contact me anytime.

As for why there isn't more discussion of shooting running critters; The ethics conversation comes up, and usually squelches any meaningful discussion of those that are inclined to do it regardless.

If you would like, you can always start a thread on the Primal Rights forum, in which I'd be happy to discuss the science behind it. There, I have the power to use a heavy hand in order to control the invariable ethics dispute.

hevent killed one yet just getting into it. Just bought a gun sighted it in sunday. looking foward to going out.

Tim ; it sure does. Soetimes I wonder how I killed all the stuff I have with what I was using.

Orkon ; yes that sounds good . Unfortunately. A lot of guys don't really think of a running animal logically. Granted there are plenty of running shot scenarios that would be ethecally UN wise. But a coyote or wolf running across a flat field or a mud flat is a relatively straight forward scenario. It's. Just speed, time and distance. Some body should make a reticule with hold offs for up to 45 MPH. . It should be doable. But even a standard or wide duplex reticule could work within the point blank range of most rifles.

Hodges ; welcome to the forums. What r u shooting? ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.