Longest 22 Rimfire Shot on a Prairie Dog?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by sscoyote, Aug 1, 2017.

1. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

Anybody got any idea who's got the "record"?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  2. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Well-Known Member

Steve,
    That's a great question!
    You sure have made some long kills on them with the little .22 LR:cool:
    You da man!

-Mike

sscoyote likes this.
  3. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

It only counts if you can do it twice in succession.

4. Rogue Hunter

FNW,
    I'm just curious?
    Is it difficult to punch the keys on your keyboard while sitting on a high horse?
    your "rules" would nullify the longest recorded shots on game regardless of size or species.
    A witnessed shot that the range is verified should be all the proof you need.

This isn't racing a car down a dry lake where you can turn around and do it again to back up a record.

Get over yourself and go out and enjoy the day;)

-Mike

T3ninja and CatShooter like this.
  5. NEMTHunter

NEMTHunter Well-Known Member

Not a prairie dog. But smaller. I have shot two gophers back to back @ 254 yards with a 22lr Marlin model 60.

I know this will not be close to the longest shot. But still was a lot of fun.

FearNoWind and sscoyote like this.
  6. sscoyote

Thanks guys for the comments. Just wondering. Got a buddy who has a nice rifle setup for just such a task, and he's going for the "record", I guess. We'll see.

7. NEMTHunter

NEMTHunter Well-Known Member

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Just out of curiosity. What is the longest shot to date that you know of?

sscoyote likes this.
  8. FearNoWind

FearNoWind Well-Known Member

:)
    Well, Mike, there was nothing of any self importance in my comment so your "get over yourself" remark is without merit. I am not a champion long range hunter myself. But I hunt with people who I have witnessed doing it twice in succession; sometimes filling two tags with two successive shots. Obviously not on the same target but on game targets at equally long distances. So, as a hunter and competition shooter, I remain true to the standard that - It only counts if you can do it twice in succession. :)

9. Rogue Hunter

Steve,
    I'm curious about your buddies set up?
    FWIW, we had the best accuracy while shooting steel at 547 out of the Anschutz rifles with the Eley Ultimate Match EPS ammo. The truncated cone on the bullet might offer a little better terminal results too on those long connections with a pd.
    Keep us up on the results of his endeavor. Have you been picking any of them off lately with the .22 LR SP's?

Regards,
    -Mike

sscoyote likes this.
  10. slowrunning

slowrunning Well-Known Member

I've shot a few out 3-400 yards with a CZ 455 precision trainer but I think it's a lot of luck. Shoot enough and you'll hit them eventually. I've stopped using a 22 in all but a few places cause I was getting very few quick kills, They get hit and run/drag to a hole or flop around for 10 minutes. Even prairie dogs deserve a humane end!

11. sscoyote

AFAIK, my nephews 477-yarder in 5 shots is the furthest I know of. Got it with a Kidd-barreled Charger/8-26X Horus Vision, 90 MOA up from a 100-yd. zero.

My buddies setup is a 20" Fedderson on a 10-22 action. Really sweet custom trigger--can't remember which one. He's also using a 4.5-14 Leupold/TS-32 reticle. Trying various ammo now--hopefully the 40 gr. HVHP's will work well. We'll see. I think that stuff is good for good terminal ballistics under 150, which'll be most of his shooting.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  12. sscoyote

Interesting Mike--figures the best is some of the more expensive--darn shame the cheap stuff can't compete, ehh?

13. woodnut

woodnut Well-Known Member

I just bought a CZ 455 Trainer. My suppressor guy said to shoot sub sonic ammo, suppressed of course, and out to 300 it is proving two things: one, it WILL group under an MOA and two, it needs at least a 20 - 25 MOA rail with a scope with a lot of come ups! But it is crazy fun! I agree that long shots on PDs with a 22 ain't very humane, but golf balls and clay targets are supin else!

14. gj

gj Well-Known Member

Dang you guys are good ! I tried it with my stock 10-22 and 8x scope, couldn't hit crap ! I do agree to it being a little inhumane now days !