Long Term Storage?

lazylabs

What methods are you using for long term storage of reloaded ammo? I am loading a bunch of ammo and would like a safe way to store it for several years. The plan as of now is moisture absorbing packs in a vacuum sealed pack of say 200 rounds and as many of those packs as you can fit in a 50 cal ammo can. What is everyone else doing? I don't plan on any sort of oil as I am afraid of some creeping into the powder/primer over time. Thanks

Just a thought, but could you possibly pop a primer out or make a bullet pop out if you over vaccume a load?? I don't know how much a vaccume sealer really vaccumes out but atmospere is about 14 psi, so you have the potential to create 14 psi internal pressure on your bullets if you vaccume all of the air out. Just food for thought.

Lacquer seal the primers and bullets before seating, as the military does. The ammo will probably last for decades without moisture intrusion. Naturally, a cool, dry storage area is always a good idea.

Sealed primers, vacume packed, dug 12 in. hole 60 in. deep,placed caped 10 in. pvc in hole and filled around with quick crete. Filled her up, placed cap on top, covered with plastic and covered with soil. Sealed threads on cap with silicon. Hope it works!!!!

Last edited:
Sealed primers, vacume packed, dug 12 in. hole 60 in. deep,placed caped 10 in. pvc in hole and filled around with quick crete. Filled her up, placed cap on top, covered with plastic and covered with soil. Sealed threads on cap with silicon. Hope it works!!!!

My god, is that your stash for after the bomb strikes? lol!

benchrest... I like your idea of a mini ammo bunker but I need something mobile. I live in a city to priority #1 will be moving guns/ammo to a different location. I see the military seals the ammo cans by dipping them in lead... anyone tried that? Did you have any visable problems vacuum sealing the ammo? Did you use any moisture absorbing material? I guess any container will eventually break down but I think 10 years of safe storage should be doable.

I had no trouble with the vacuum, but I used new brass so the pockets were tight. I did put about 4 in. of cat litter in the bottom to help with any moisture. I'm going to do another one this week and put a vacuum sealed barrell into it to see what happens. I'll leave it for a couple months then check. If it works I'll add the rest of it as well.
Britz I hadn't thought of the bomb thing, but you know I have a good post hole digger and plenty of schedule 80 pvc!!!!!

Just my 2 cents but my none of my ammo has made it more than 3 weeks before being shot:D plus i don't have the patince to sit and reload more that 50 rds at a timegun)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts