• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Long ranger starter scope

SamuelBerryhill308

I'm looking for a good scope for my remington 700 to start long range hunting and shooting with but will be mostly for hunting 3,4 or 6 power on low end. prefer leupold but open to other brands just let me know what you have budget is around 500 as of right now my budget can be raised for a higher end scope but it will depend if it fits my needs. I understand like alot of people have said buy once cry once and I'm about at that point due to being unhappy with scopes I have now.thanks

Last edited:
If I could have someone give me this advice a long time ago I would be forever grateful.

"Save your money and buy very good glass, NF ATACR or similar. They hold their value and are great glass." If you buy cheap, you will upgrade, and when you do the inferior glass will be worthless. Trust me, you will wish you saved and bought the best the first time. But do what is best for you. Just my opinion.

If I could have someone give me this advice a long time ago I would be forever grateful.

"Save your money and buy very good glass, NF ATACR or similar. They hold their value and are great glass." If you buy cheap, you will upgrade, and when you do the inferior glass will be worthless. Trust me, you will wish you saved and bought the best the first time. But do what is best for you. Just my opinion.
Yes this is true another member has told me the same thang.im open to buying a nightforce for sure

Exactly, I shoot Nightforce ATACRs on all my hunting rigs, Match rig Tangent Theta and Zero Compromise. I just posted a 4-16x42 for sale that would fit the bill. I know a lot of guys shoot 2nd focal, but when training I have always found it easier to spot shots off of max magnification and making accurate corrections with a second focal is tough unless you are at max or half way. If using a first focal plane you need to make sure that the reticle is usable at the lowest power, Leupolds struggle with this unless you are using their higher magnification models. This is another reason I use ATACRS. from their 4-16 to their 7-35, the reticles can be accurately shot at any power magnification.

Also don't get hung up on the MOA vs MIL thing, your turrets matching your reticle is all that matters.

Last edited:
If you can find an older Bushnell DMR, I think it would be something to consider as well.
I picked one up. FFP Mil/Mil. Great for what it is.

After shooting MOA and Mil scopes for a good portion of time, I picked up my first expensive glass, an NSX5.5-25x50, SFP MOA/MOA. I wish I would have done that in FFP Mil/Mil back then.

Heed the advice if buying quality of what you want the first time. You will have what you want instead of a safe full of almost what you thought you wanted.