Long Range Shotgun?

ZIMM

I shotgun hunt deer in the midwest where they dont allow rifles. I have taken deer on the run well around 250-300 yard range. I'm looking to push my remington 1100 to the max. The 1100 remington that I'm using has a shotgun barrel with rifles sites on it. I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to consistantly group 5 shots with in a five inch diameter. I want to see how far/effective I can be. I know at 100 yards I'm pretty much dead on. Does anyone have any suggestions, possible a new gun/barrel, anything.
Z

he said that they don't allow rifles...I don't know a lot about slug hunting. But, I do know that they make some great rifled shotgun barrels, and some really accurate loads...good luck

ZIMM

Well...it's about as possible as you.....killin deer from 250-300 yds. wif dat shotgun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I had a Savage (keep your comments to yourself!) SLug Rifle for a while and now use a Remington 870 cantilever. These are rifled barrels and I've taken deer to 200 yards and beyond (a short distance beyond). For the longer shooting I used the Remington Copper Solids but now there are better sabot (sa-bo) loads. I used the lower point on the Leupold M8-4x as the 200 yard aiming point and it seemed to work fine. I wouldn't count on too much expansion for a 250-300 yard shot and maybe not even any reaction from the deer once struck. Stick to double lung for a while bacuase I believe you're just going to get a ~.73 caliber hole through the critter.

Generally people dont realize that you can shoot 200+yards with a slug. You just have to lead them a little bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Does anyone know where I can get the ballistic info on slugs?

Zimm, We don't have to use shotguns out here, but I've read and followed the technology through different articles. IanM just had an article in NAHC I think about shotguns. You definitely need to upgrade to a rifled shotgun barrel. Scopes would help if allowed, if not, good sights (rear peep with a fiber optic front). The new sabot loads require a rifled barrel. With them you can shoot the Hornady SST 50 cal bullet out with a pretty flat trajectory. The Burris Ballistic Plex helps hold over, or a MilDot type system should allow a shot close to 300 yds. Check out your energy, etc. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is a down fall of hunting deer in Iowa, we cant use rifles. If they allowed rifles in Iowa, that first year Iowa would just destroy all of the current boone and crocket records.
Where was that article, I've already been on ebay looking for a rifled barrel.
Z

Zimm,
I have tried to shot out to 200 yds with a shotgun. In fact, I did it at my clubs 200 yd high power range using Foster slugs in an AL48 2 3/4" 12 gauge. While most of the slugs did hit somewhere in the big target, a few didn't.

A few years back I had a slug gun built using a M-1100 3" magnum. While this gun does well at 100 yds, it still only shoots a average 4" group. I don't know if it will shoot at 200 or 300 yards as I have not done that my range. Personally, based on a some very biased bad experiences with shotgun accuracy, I am afraid to shot out past 100 yards. Hence, the reason for my comment to buy a good .270 Wincester.

I wasn't trying to be a smarty, but was serious that you should consider another option. I apologize if it came across the wrong way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

If I remember my geography from living many years in CO, IA isn't that far away is it? It should be just on the other side of NE.

REO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zimm,
The article:
Slug-Gunning For Deer
Don't settle for sub-par accuracy and long-range performance from your 12 gauge this deer season.
Instead, take it up a notch by checking out the latest and greatest slug guns and loads.
by Ian McMurchy
My son and I were sitting in a ground blind overlooking a well-used mule deer trail. It was mid-morning on opening day of the slug gun/muzzleloader season, and several deer had sneaked by, but the big buck we'd scouted didn't show. Our normally quiet hunting area had been disrupted by nearly continuous shooting on neighboring properties.
That afternoon we talked to three of the hunters who'd taken many of those shots, and they complained about their frequent misses. "What kind of slug guns are you using?" I asked one of them. "Slug gun, what's that?" was his reply. "We're using our 12 gauge duck and goose guns."
For many decades this scenario was common: When deer season arrived, you simply stoked "Old Betsy" with slugs and headed for the woods. Fortunately, many shots at deer are within 40 yards, and these shotguns did the job despite the smoothbore barrels and lack of proper sights. Firearms manufacturers identified the need for better accuracy and long-range performance, however, so they developed rifled slug gun barrels and more accurate slug designs.
Field-Test Time
For years, muzzleloader manufacturers have been using saboted bullets in rifled barrels, and the same concept has now arrived in slug guns. A saboted slug fired from a rifled slug gun barrel is state-of-the-art with far superior accuracy and velocity than earlier smoothbore/slug combinations. Sold as premium loadings, sabots are worth the additional cost if you have a decent slug gun in which to shoot them.
I'm refraining from mentioning firearm and ammunition brands and models because I've found that current slug guns and rifled barrels are uniformly accurate with the exception of the odd custom-built rig. The bottom line is you have to determine which slug loading happens to shoot best in your particular slug gun. I can't say Brand X sabots will out-perform Brand Y in Model Z slug gun because there are simply too many variables to draw such conclusions.
For example: I recently shot a Remington slug gun that excelled with Remington slugs and another identical Remington gun that did better with Winchester slugs. A Benelli slug barrel liked the newest Remington saboted slugs, but sprayed Remington's Sluggers. You have to spend a few bucks and some time at the range to determine which slug your gun shoots best-period.
A few years ago I had an opportunity to test the current crop of slug guns and loads. The folks at Kahles wanted to correlate their TDS scope reticle to the trajectories of saboted slugs, so I assembled a wide selection of slug guns and sabots. I set up my Oehler chronographs to record slug velocity at the muzzle and 50 yards. I spent 3 days on the range shooting five new slug guns and learned you can achieve remarkable accuracy with some of today's slug guns and sabots.
My best groups were shot with specially designed slug-shooting firearms, like the bolt-action Tar Hunt and the now discontinued Browning A-Bolt. Some of the rifled-barrel pump-action slug guns also shot well. My test procedure was to fire five shots from each of several brands of slugs through every slug gun. I initially shot at 50 yards to determine which combinations shot the best, then I tested some of the most accurate slug/slug gun combos out to 100 yards to push the envelope a bit. Most of these three-shot, 100-yard groups stayed well within the vital chest area of a deer.
How well will a properly prepared slug gun shoot? My best groups measured less than 11/2 inches at 100 yards with a Tar Hunt bolt-action slug gun and one particular slug. Because this is a very expensive firearm, I expected good accuracy, but this gun exceeded my expectations. I had several gun/load combinations that kept three shots inside 3 inches at 50 yards. To view the actual data from my field test, visit www.huntingclub.com and click "Web Extra."
I found that most permanently attached barrel systems (including low-cost single-shot slug guns) out-shot the more common detachable barrels. I also found that scope mounts frequently shot loose from these heavy-kicking firearms, so make sure to use Loctite on your mounting screws. One more tip: The new "soft" recoil pads such as those from LimbSaver significantly reduce gun kick and make shooting slug guns a lot easier.
Because you can't hit what you can't see, I field tested all the available sighting options for slug guns, including one and two beads, open sights, aperture sights, scopes and other optical devices. I believe one of the best options for a slug gun is the Bushnell HoloSite-for close or long shots. How accurate is the HoloSite at long range? I recently mounted a HoloSite on a superb tactical-style rifle and shot 1-inch groups at 100 yards. My personal sight preference for slug guns from best to worst is HoloSite, a low-powered scope, a large aperture peep-sight, open sights, two beads and finally one bead.
Super Slugs
In terms of saboted slug design, you can't really go wrong with any of the latest offerings from Brenneke, Federal, Hornady, Lightfield, Remington, Winchester and others. The slugs themselves are available in solid copper, jacketed lead, bonded or solid lead, and my tests lean toward the solid copper slugs for accuracy, but I believe the new pointed slugs will be great, too. I haven't shot Hornady's new SST slugs yet-they blend a pointed rifle-style bullet with sabot technology and will no doubt gain a loyal following. The 300-grain, plastic-tipped bullet has the capability of killing deer out to 200 yards when shot from an accurate, rifled slug gun barrel.
Youngsters and small-framed hunters should be aware of Remington's Managed-Recoil slugs. I tested these 1-ounce slugs by blasting clay targets on the ground as fast as I could pull the trigger on a 12 gauge Remington semiauto. Next, I stoked the slug gun with Remington Sluggers and shot again, and I was amazed at the recoil reduction, accuracy and fast recovery of the Managed-Recoil ammo. I have no doubt they'll kill deer cleanly.
Like deer hunters, black bear hunters can also benefit from the latest slug gun and saboted slug offerings. Bear hunting over bait is a close-range game, and today's heavy-hitting slugs fired from an accurate gun are serious bear medicine.

REO

Have you tried a muzzleloader? Or is this a seperate season? Might check into the TC Encore in a 45 cal. You would have more of choice in bullets with it, and some muzzleloaders are able to produce 2" or less groups at 200 yards. The only draw back would be that you would have just one shot, just with practice you could extend your effective range. Just my 2 cents.

Would a muzzleloader be an option in your area. You might want to check into one of the custom smokeless muzzleloaders or possibly an over the counter Savage. I've got a swing-lock .50 cal that shoots a 250gr sst at well over 2800 fps with groups within .5 moa. If recoil is a concern, you can always shoot a lighter load, but when the gun shoots less than a 2 inch group at 350 yards I'm not changing a thing.

With a Kenton Industries speed dial on top of my leupy, it can hang with many centerfires.

I've seen this thing. It is one awesome muzzleloader!!!! Better grab your wallet though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.