Long Range Rifles/Optics for Backpacking hunts

There are some compromises compared to purchasing a 30 to 40 oz scope, but I will never again backpack a 30oz riflescope in my life.

This is really where I'm at too. And it is a personal choice, some guys don't mind packing a heavy rifle. I just prefer to keep my gear on the lighter side. Now that I've worked out the kinks, I am really happy with the VX6 3-18x50 on top of my 338 RUM.

Tell us more about these turrets. Are they accurate and repeatable like, say, NF, or SB? It sounds like they could make the Swaro a really good scope.

I'll provide a link to the HighPowerOptics (HPO) website (below). Bruce (owner) is a sponsor of this Forum. The HPO Micrometer Style aftermarket turrets replace the factory Swaro turret knobs, which are about useless for dialing dope. I've tested the elevation turret on my Z5 two separate times and it is both accurate and repeatable. The HPO aftermarket turret caps don't alter the internal accuracy or calibration of the turrets. The factory turret caps (covers) still enclose the HPO turret knobs. The HPO turret knobs do allow me to dial and read the click adjustment on the knobs. The turret clicks aren't as positive as a NF and some other heavyweight tactical scopes. The HPO turret knobs are the same basic size and diameter as the factory turret knobs, which is to say small compared to NF, and there are no zero stop options. Some of the compromises of the Swaro Z5...

But the HPO turrets are completely functional for dialing and reading dope on the turret knob for my LRH use. A vast improvement over the factory knobs for dialers. And this scope allows me to lose 1 lb of weight compared to a NF, and 1/2 lb of weight compared to my Sightron SIIIs. This maintains a nice balance on a lighter weight backpacking rifle, reducing the top-heaviness from the 2lb and 2lb+ scopes. My rifle isn't a super lightweight rifle. Weighs ~9 - 9.1 lbs with the Z5 scope mounted on the receiver. So ~8 lbs bare naked.

Here's a link to Bruce's website:
https://www.highpoweroptics.com/mic....html?OBNsid=e5ecb2fc8272244bed3fcba42fcf6652

I like the Bushnell LRHS 3 - 12 X 44 at 24 oz. It's good enough for western hunting without being too heavy but still with a nice 30 mm tube, a FFP and a decent small "Christmas tree" reticle.

It or something like it may be my next scope. I'd like to retire my Burris Black Diamond boat anchor.

I like the Bushnell LRHS 3 - 12 X 44 at 24 oz. It's good enough for western hunting without being too heavy but still with a nice 30 mm tube, a FFP and a decent small "Christmas tree" reticle.

It or something like it may be my next scope. I'd like to retire my Burris Black Diamond boat anchor.

Something to consider would be a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50mm with a TS-32x1 reticle. Only 16.5 ounces and I think a strong contender for a lightweight mountain rifle and you could use the reticle for as far as you were comfortable shooting out to 32 MOA of drop. Not top shelf optics, but worth considering.

So I've spent a lot of time testing all of the scopes I own and really need to take the time to write up the results. I really don't have time right now to do the proper writeup, but here's the basics:

I built a very simple test platform by bolting a picatinny scope base to a long extruded rectangular tube, and I am then able to clamp that setup to a solid bench. I used a reel tape to measure off the exact distance to an MOA scale and was able to create a very uniform test setup. I tested every scope that I own for turret click accuracy, turret click repeatability (or precision) as well as reticle accuracy.

The results were far from what I expected. My most expensive scope was off in both turret click accuracy as well as reticle accuracy.

All of my scopes had perfect turret click repeatability, at least down to the levels that I could tell with my eyes... which is how we use a scope so is all that really matters.

Comparing my VX6 3-18x50 and the NF SHV 3-10x42 is interesting. I think those two scopes have different applications as the 10x max magnification on the SHV limits the SHV's long range capability. Both of those scopes weigh the same so in my opinion the VX6 is the clear winner for a backpacking rifle because of the added magnification and, at least to my eyes, better optics.

I love that the VX6 has a simple MOA turret and MOA reticle, I am not a fan of "ballistic" turrets or reticles that try and estimate yardage for you. The SHV has MOA turrets/reticle as well and the only reason I did not go with a higher magnification SHV, like the 5-20x56, is simply the heavier weight. After testing out my SHV I think they are a great scope with lots of great features.

When I get more time I'll write up the results of each scope that I tested, but I really don't think there's a whole lot of value in each scopes performance as I am testing only a single scope from each respective make/model. I think the more valuable aspect is simply how I created the test setup as it removes the rifle/shooter as a source of error.

I've read some good things about the Leupold VX-6 scope, related to clarity/resolution.

Look's like the weight isn't too heavy either. 20.4oz for the 3-18x50mm and 19oz for the 3-18x44mm. If the glass, light transmission, and resolution are good, this looks to be a very good option for a backpacking weight rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.