Long range rifle takes a beating

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jdmecomber, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jdmecomber

jdmecomber Official LRH Sponsor

I wanted to touch base and see if anyone has experienced this. My rifle Mcmillian Stock, NF Steel Base, S&B PM2 Rifle Scope. This rifle took a plane flight and rode about 500 miles on rough rocky Alaskan Mtn trails. We would ride to glassing points and spend hours at each point. The rifle rode on the front of the quad mostly inside an eberlestock backpack with the rifle above the pack. Constantly moving around and maybe touching occasionally the front of the quad rack. I know one morning it was hitting pretty good I didn't notice the gun had shifted.

When I got home, I checked my zero. It was 1 moa low. What are some thoughts on this?

SEAK likes this.
  2. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

It happens. You'll often see a place to check your zero when you travel to a destination to hunt. I ALWAYS take the time to verify zero when I travel. The goons handling luggage, especially for overseas travel, are not kind. Beating a rifle/scope around can change your zero so its a good practice to check it before you hunt.
    Bruce

alcesgigas and Hand Skills like this.
  3. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I expect my rifles' POIs to change after receiving any solid thumps, bumps, jars, and impacts. I shoot to test and confirm POI as soon as possible after the rifle has been thumped. If it held POI, I smile. If it didn't, I re-zero and move on.

And I don't have any cheesy scope mounting equipment...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    alcesgigas and HARPERC like this.
  4. aaronoto

aaronoto New Member

What kind of rings are you running?

5. BWB

BWB Well-Known Member

Shifty Bender :)

Barrelnut likes this.
  6. jdmecomber

I have heavy duty Barrett Rings No Gap

7. jdmecomber

It kind of upsets me. If you're a long range hunter, and the hunt I was on, I have to check it every morning :)!!!!

I hope there was just some weird settling issue and not a scope/mount/torque issue

8. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

I've had scope bumps change POIs with my backpacking rifles, which have BAT HR receivers with integral scope rails. Seekins scope rings. Hard to get more robust than that. I go way out of my way to prevent harsh bumps and jars to my rifles. Otherwise, it's back to checking the rifle zero again.

alcesgigas likes this.
  9. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Completely understandable after a trip like that. That's why you should always check your zero when you arrive at camp.

alcesgigas likes this.
  10. WildRose

If you're going to abuse it, you're going to have to.

ATV racks are really hell on rifles because of both the vibration and impact.

11. JJMoody

JJMoody Well-Known Member

Great info here. I for one wouldn't have thought a great quality setup would shift like that. I get you want to check zero afterwards, solid advice. I wonder how many guys riding around on a quad think about the vibrations etc having that much affect on a setup.

12. WildRose

A well padded soft case can save you a whole lot of problems.

Hand Skills likes this.
  13. jdmecomber

I think if I ever do that again, I will just strap the pelican case on the quad.

14. Hatrick

Hatrick Well-Known Member

JD, When ever I come back from a trip I always go to the range and check 0 before I clean it and put it away. Sometimes it is not right. I don't remember bumping it. With my luck I am usually glad we both made it home in one piece.