Long range rifle stock recommendation

Bob58

Help! I'm having Savage build a .300 WSM in their model 10, with a fluted heavy barrel. I'd like to replace the stock Savage stock (bad pun intended), but don't know what to choose. I like the Stockade line, especially their Woodchuck stock, but want a stock that is:
a) More manageable than the Woodchuck for carrying (Woodchuck is 2 3/8" wide at forearm)
b) Will adapt to, or fit without any adaptation, the Savage heavy barrel.

I don't like the Monte Carlo style stocks - I think they increase felt recoil, but others who have more experience may know better than I. My preference is for a straight rear stock, like the Stockade Woodchuck.

Cost is a consideration, too. I'd rather not spend several hundred dollars, if that can be avoided.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob58

stocks

I put a Bell and Carlson on my Rem 700, 270 WSM and I like the stock. However if I was doing it again, I would look at some of the lighter custom stocks out there. This isn't turning out to be a gun I'll go backpacking with. Weight may not be an issue to you.
Good luck

Stockade makes a sporter stock also that has a smaller forend. If you gave Kevin the dimensions of your barrel he could tell you if it would fit or not.

I would go with the Bell & Carlson stock. It's a nice looking stock for a fair price and it performs well too. My buddy has one on his Savage, and he loves it. It makes the stock Savage look like a full blown custom rig.

W.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.