Long range pistol questions

backyardsniper

I'm looking to get into handgun hunting seriously and I would like some advice on equipment. I own a ruger redhawk 44 magand a colt king cobra 357 which covers most of my standard handgun hunting equipment. I am wanting to get a rifle caliber pistol, an encore or an xp-100, something along those lines. What I need to know is what is the preferable platform to use for this. The encore or a bolt action. What calibers do people usually go with. I had an encore pistol in 243 once before and I really liked it. I will be doing a lot of target shooting with this pistol. I have a 400yd range very close to my house and I go regularly and I would like a pistol capable of accuracy at that distance or farther if that is a possibility in the pistol world. I will be hunting whitetail and possibly up to elk sized game. Thanks guys.

I would say find an xp100 or savage striker, they're both good guns and can be had at a reasonable price. you could find one in a suitable caliber like 300wsm, 7-08, or you could have a custom barrel spun on just like a rifle. I have a striker in 243 and its a great shooter. for more info try specialty pistols forum, lots of excellent info there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.