Brainstorming Ideas on Long Range Elk Pistol

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by backyardsniper, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:29 PM.

1. mtnman5280

mtnman5280 Active Member

I've owned a .226 JDJ, .257 JDJ and a .338 JDJ and have taken game out to 300+ yards with all of them. Mostly prarie dogs (226) and antelope. I have been very satisfied with the performance. All were 14" SSK barrels. I think the rimmed case (parent) makes a big difference in the TC actions.

2. Timnterra

Timnterra Well-Known Member

Here is the first creedmoor I built.

Attached Files:

3. backyardsniper

backyardsniper Well-Known Member

Ohhh. Thats what I'm talkin about right there.

4. rokstockrangtang

rokstockrangtang Member

What about the 460 s and w?got quite a bit of knock down with pretty much any bullet you use in it.

5. backyardsniper

They just dont carry the trajectory or distance for what I'm looking to do .

6. Buttermilk

Buttermilk Well-Known Member

There are several options that will work.

Jon Beanland built me a custom XP-100 in 7mm RSAUM. 17.5" bbl. 1/4 MOA to 1/2 MOA accuracy depending on load. 162-168 gr bullets at 2774 FPS to 2850 FPS, depending on load. It's plenty for elk.

I also have a T/C Encore 30-338WM that will work for elk as well. 16.5" bbl. I supplied a cut rifled blank to MGM and they built the barrel for me. 1/2 to 1 MOA accuracy, and 175-180 gr bullets at 2700-2846 fps depending on load.

SSK makes good barrels for the Encore as well.

The Specialty Handgun Hunting section of this forum also is a good place to post any questions, as is the Specialty Pistols forums.

McMillan is the only synthetic stock option now. Ernie Bishop has a group buy going for a McMillan stock. He's on the site.

Several gunsmiths that can build a good XP-100 custom. If you're left handed, right bolt works perfect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    Timnterra likes this.
  7. johnlittletree

johnlittletree Well-Known Member

I think you are fine. People kill thin skinned game in Africa with 44 Mag all the time. I dare say that a 7-08 has a lot more power than a 44 mag. Shot Placement/Shot Placement/Shot Placement!!! Cheers and Happy Hunting!

When I am hunting with a single-shot shotgun or fishing in Bear Country mostly little Black Bears I always have my 44 Mag Super RedHawk on my chest or hip. Thank God I have not had to use it but it makes for a great mercy shot to finish the animal off if it is not quite dead and it a great back up to a signle shot shotgun. Fishing in streams is always risky because beer want those fish too! LOL

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=50789

8. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

If you have more questions on a custom XP, give me a holler. 307-257-7431 or [email protected]

9. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

Conventional handgun calibers kill like a muzzle loader and rely heavily on penetration and permanent wound cavity. Handguns chambered for small bore rifle rounds still need the velocity to cause the bullets to expand and cause damage. I can also assure you that no handgun hunter is hunting elk at 400+ yards with a 44 mag, which is the range that the OP is looking at.

When shooting short barreled guns you need to either settle for reduced performance or move up to a larger case to make up for the velocity lost in a short barrel. Expect comparable loads to be 150-200fps slower when fired out of a handgun length barrel compared to the same load from a rifle. If you want 300 Win Mag performance from a 15" barrel then you need to move up to a 300 Weatherby or RUM sized case. If you want 7-08 rifle ballistics in a 14-15" barrel then you'll need to move up to a 7 Mag or possibly a 280 AI.

To get 6.5x47 Laupua performance I had to go to a 260 AI; matching a 7-08 rifle from an 18" needed a 284 Win case; getting a 168gr 30 caliber bullet to 3150 fps (300 Win Mag performance) from a 16" barrel, required a 300 RUM; To match a 338 Win Mag from an 18" barrel I had to go with a 338/375 Ruger (or 330 Dakota/340 Weatherby size case); to get 338 Lapua performance (300gr OTM at 2850 fps+) from a 20" barrel required a 338/408 Improved. The list of different chamberings I've used in specialty pistols goes on and on. The one constant is the need to move up in case capacity to offset the reduction in barrel length.

Before building a custom bolt pistol you should take a look at the Nosler 48 NCH pistol. While I don't personally think any of the available chamber options are viable 400+ yard elk cartridges, the gun itself is an excellent option. If you build a custom bolt pistol you'll likely be into the build $2000+ if you start with a custom action so the $2500 price tag on the NCH really isn't that unreasonable. It's a really well thought out design that was obviously built with input from experienced SP shooters. I'd probably call Nosler and see if they could chamber one for something like the 28 Nosler if elk at 400+ yards was my goal. For deer out to 500 yards or targets out to 1200+ yards most of the factory offerings would work well.

10. backyardsniper

I'll definitely check out tbe nosler. I didn't know they made one of those.
    Thanks man

11. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

Nosler has me interested, but for the price a custom build, exactly the way you want it still has me.

Buttermilk likes this.
  12. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

There are other options If you are not sure what you want.

Here are a few bolt action pistols that you could look at New or used
    to get the action and stock for a re barrel later. I would also consider the TC Encore.

Savage Striker, Remington XP 100, Weatherby MK 5, And Wichita that
    has a left port and bolt. These pistols can be found on gun broker and other sites in Many calibers. Prices range from $400.00 UP.

It mite be a good way to get you started and If you choose the right one it could be as simple as a re barrel in the future.

J E CUSTOM