long range optic

LONGRANGENOOB

I am currently trying to decide on what glass to mount on a newly acquired 700 xcr long range tactical. So far, I've narrowed it down to a Trijicon 5-20X50 mildot, a Leupold 6.5-20X50 Mark 4 LRT TMR, or a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50 with zero stop and high speed turrets with the MLR reticle. The rifle has a 20 moa us optics base on it. I don't necessarily want to go with the cheapest (Trijicon) but also don't want to buy something I will not use. I have heard a lot of bad things on Leupolds recently and it seems that nightforce is the way to go. I don't mind spending the money if its something I am going to use. The rifle will be used for Long range target shooting (mostly steel plates) and some long range hunting (hopefully, if it isn't too heavy to hike around with). What do you guys think?

Here is what I've got so far....

Trijicons seem to have really good reviews, the only con I have identified is lack of elevation adj, but with a 20 moa base, this should be less of an issue.

I can get a like new leupold from a local seller in great shape for $1100 for the model stated above, but would hate to buy something that has caused so many complaints (from what I've read) from long range shooters.

I don't see any cons with the nightforce but the price.....is zero stop really needed?

Any insight is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have a Leupold Mark 4 and like it alot, but I would way rather have a nightforce. The NSX 3.5-15 with an NPR 1 or NPR 2 reticle, Zero Stop and high speed turret is awsome. If I could do it again thats the way I would go. And as far as price is concerned I would spend more on my scope than my rifle if need be. Get the highest preforming in optics that you can and you wont be dissapointed.

I have the mark 4, and main reason was weight, NF similar size +10oz. But my rifle is a pack type

I shoot the Nightforces and dont have the zero stops but am thinking of sending them in to have them installed. There not required but I think they would be nice to have. Also I would suggest the 5.5-22 I have the 3.5-15, 5.5-22, 8-32, and have played with the 12-42 and my favorite on a big game gun is the 5.5-22. next would be a tie between the 8-32 and the 3.5-15 and last would be the 12-42. I think that for the combination of light gathering and elevation adjustment the 5.5 is the best deal. The nice thing about the 8-32 is more magnification but a little less low light shooting capabillities. Only bad thing with the 15 is the magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.