Best Range-finding Optic

cabinfever

I have been running Leica 10x42 HD-B geovids for several years now. I run it with a programmed mini SD card and use the 1 MOA setting.For the most part, they have been accurate. I love having the ability to range an animal as soon as I acquire it's position. My biggest concern is I'm not getting the consistent accuracy I need to make those longer shots at 700-1OOO+ yards.

So what's the best range finding optic? I have been looking at the Gunwerks rangefinders as well as the SIG sauer, or do I stay with my Geovid. My Geovid is a second generation geovid but i wonder if the newer models have some advantages.

I have have had excellent success with both generations of the Gunwerks G7 RF for the past eight seasons. They have proven to be highly reliable and have accounted for accurate shots on dozens game animals and varmints out to 1000+ yards. Furthest shot was an antelope, DRT, at 1188 yards.

I like my kilo 2400 quite a bit, once I got it all dialed in, able to hit moa size targets out to 1400y. My friend uses his with a custom 28 nosler, he's made a cold bore hit @ over 2k yards utilizing his kilo 2400. They're pretty magical, but only as good as the data you feed it.

I like the Leica RF but have told them a 15x would be better. I believe there is one in Europe. I ve been disappointed with the Sig 2400 for longer ranges but AB is a better program. My Vectronics 15c is the best and has ranged to 5100 yards but hardly needed. It's always reliable to 3000 or more.

Newcon scope looks very interesting especially the 3000 m version. I cannot find any reviews particularly optics quality. Any body with either RF or spotting experience ?

I have been running Leica 10x42 HD-B geovids for several years now. I run it with a programmed mini SD card and use the 1 MOA setting.For the most part, they have been accurate. I love having the ability to range an animal as soon as I acquire it's position. My biggest concern is I'm not getting the consistent accuracy I need to make those longer shots at 700-1OOO+ yards.

So what's the best range finding optic? I have been looking at the Gunwerks rangefinders as well as the SIG sauer, or do I stay with my Geovid. My Geovid is a second generation geovid but i wonder if the newer models have some advantages.

My Geovid's the current 3000 model. Are you using one of Leica's preset ballistic curves on your card or are you inputting your own ballistic info to create the custom curve? From what I've seen in the short while I've been using my Geovids is that the custom and preset curves are exponentially different when going past 500.

These were just my observations when downloading curves to my card. I haven't been able to truly test the accuracy of the curves when shooting as I don't have a convenient area to range those distances.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.