long range killing power of 260 rem, 6.5x55 swede...???

the difference between the swede and the 260 are the same as the difference between coke and pepsi

Plaster is considered to be a moron among the long range tactical community and this paper is just more reinforcement of that notion.
Energy means nothing.

A bullet diameter pin hole is not enough.
The bullet also needs to expand and wreck some of the internals to be effective.
The general rule of thumb is 1800fps or approximately 800yards with a good long range bullet and a long barrel. The 6.5X55 would extend this a bit.

The new Accubond will extend this to well beyond 1000.

Plaster is considered to be a moron among the long range tactical community and this paper is just more reinforcement of that notion.
Energy means nothing.

A bullet diameter pin hole is not enough.
The bullet also needs to expand and wreck some of the internals to be effective.
The general rule of thumb is 1800fps or approximately 800yards with a good long range bullet and a long barrel. The 6.5X55 would extend this a bit.

The new Accubond will extend this to well beyond 1000.
yeah x man I never liker plaster either. I looked at one of his videos and he was an obnoxious know it all

Right rifle right guy right conditions, you could own 800yrds of real estate with a 260 on deer sized game IMO.

when i started long range hunting in n c pa the gun most used by long rangers there was the 6.5x300 weatherby. main reason being there was one
good bullet for that and none for any other cartridges. slowly that changed and as it did hunters lost interest in the 6.5. in other words, there were better
choices. i personaly see little logic in saying i wonder how far i could kill a deer
with this thing. ive never known anyone who went back to the 6.5 as their
choice of a long range cartridge. balistic charts are one thing. watching them
as they get hit is quite another.
most of us get very little time each year to actually hunt. then theres no guarantee of cooperation from the weather man. this aint no time for foolin around. pick something you wont be guessing about. if your that sensetive
to recoil then maybe you should be sticking to varmit hunting. thats fun also.

when i started long range hunting in n c pa the gun most used by long rangers there was the 6.5x300 weatherby. main reason being there was one
good bullet for that and none for any other cartridges. slowly that changed and as it did hunters lost interest in the 6.5. in other words, there were better
choices. i personaly see little logic in saying i wonder how far i could kill a deer
with this thing. ive never known anyone who went back to the 6.5 as their
choice of a long range cartridge. balistic charts are one thing. watching them
as they get hit is quite another.
most of us get very little time each year to actually hunt. then theres no guarantee of cooperation from the weather man. this aint no time for foolin around. pick something you wont be guessing about. if your that sensetive
to recoil then maybe you should be sticking to varmit hunting. thats fun also.
you would have to be a barrel maker to own 6.5 /300 weatherby lol talk about burning a barrel out. I bet after 200 shots you would see barrel erosion

Good evenin. I can can tell yout this. I shoot a 260 Rem. A 27" Krieger Barrel. Its like a medium heavy barrel. The same size of a Rem Sendero. It has a 1-8 twist. I shoot 130grn Berger VLD. The farthest Kill shot I have taken so far is 720 yrds. The target was a 290 lb hog. And yes, the bullet did have a complete pass through. How ever the bullet did not hit any bones. I thank the hog ran about 20 yrds or so. Easy blood trail to follow. When I gutted the hog the heart was hard to recognize. Some of the lungs were hit too. My 260 is not my 7mag Sendero. But it does the trick quite well i thank. At 720 yards the 260 still had ruffly 1000lbs of energy thanks to the high B.C. Berger bullet. My 260 still has around 700 lbs of energy at 1000yrds. That is at 1600 ft above sea level. The 140 grn VLDs would prob be better. But my 130s have never let me down. ( Dont fix whats not broken ) If I ever hesitate to pull my trigger on my 260 at an animal at long range. I stop!!!! Pick up my 7 mag and continue the hunt!!! A 260 Rem is a great 1000yrd whitetail cartridge. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. If you feel like the 260 is to small. My next choice would be a 7MM-08. 140grn Berger VLDs. I hope this helps. Have a great weekend everyone!!!!

This is not a flame on anyone but something to think over.
One thing everyone does is use "energy numbers" which if you really break it down means nothing.
Momentum numbers of a given bullet is a much better comparisons.
Now I use to chase cows for a living and not the brightest bulb in the room but the laws of physics are laws.
If you are using a bullet that leaves the muzzle with lets say 5000 foot pounds of energy then by the laws of physic you should receive 5000 foot pounds of energy(tho scaled down) on your shoulder, and no we do not get kicked by those 5000 ft. pounds.
"For every action there is an opposite and EQUAL reaction.
Energy numbers are in fact a marketing gimmick and a way to judge one caliber or cartridge to another but in the field it really means nothing.
Inuit's have been using .22 Hornets and .222's to kill everything that lives in their country.
Neither one gives the kind of energy numbers that are called minimum for Moose and Polar Bears which just proves the point shot placement over all other consideration.
Do not misjudge my statement, I am not saying we should hunt our big game with a .22 Hornet or similar class of firearm.
But here in West Wyoming people have been killing all manner of big game including Elk and Moose with .25-35's, .30-30's, .243's, .250's, and the .32 Win Spl. not including handguns of small caliber just to name a few of the under powered calibres.
More than energy placing the bullet properly is the key.
And yes the .260, and other 6.5's including the .256 Newton are still viable to extended ranges, just look at the G7 numbers to bare this out.
lightbulb

Whoever wrote the article you read has obviously not reloaded for either cartridge. The .260 handloads I put together with 140gr Berger VLDs have the same downrange energy at 1000yds as a Federal Premium 165gr .300 win mag. I wonder where these experts get their knowledge sometimes.

Actually it was written by Nathan Foster who is a gunsmith, reloader, and long-range hunting guide in New Zealand. He does not say to not use a 6.5X55, but rather to know it's limitations, watch the body weight of game it's to be used on, and choose a fragmenting bullet that works down to 1600 fps or less. His article was about personally observed and recorded bullet performance with virtually every kind of bullet on feral hog and goats at 0 - 800 yards. He has more LR kill observations than anyone I know of (there may be others), so his opinions rank high. He's been shooting his personal Swede for 25+ years. His "failures" sited are 3 bullet blow ups, another disappointing neck shot pig at 240 yards and a rear lung shot. He is all for ethical long-range hunting, has decades of experience at it, and knows what works.

With that in mind I am building a 6.5X55 now with a #5 contour Pacnor 1-in-8 throated for the 140gr A-MAX for hunting to 650 and plinking beyond. Know your gun, your cartridge, read the wind well, and record your own data on your chosen bullet's performance at different ranges on different weight game animals.

Field success to all,
Davey G

Don't sell your 260 short. I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor (very similar performance, different shape case) and wouldn't bat an eye if offered a 650 yard shot at any animal under 700lbs. IF I am hunting elk I will more likely be carrying my 280AI, but the Creed will be on the trip as backup in case of accidental damage (falling down the mountain or some such). If loaded with a high BC bullet like a 140 VLD Berger or Hornady 140 AMAX, your swede will have plenty of energy at medium range, and your limiting factor will most likely be (as it almost always is) windage. Check out Wayne Van Zwoll killing a big bull elk at 600+ yards on youtube with a creedmoor (very similar ballistics), and Thomas Haugland (THLR.NO) shooting the swede at longer ranges. I have a 7mag that I will probably sell because I can do everything I really want to do for less recoil with these other calibers. Don't use a BIGGER hammer, use a SMARTER hammer....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.