Long Range Kangaroo Hunting By Shane Morgan

Shame Shane Morgan of Glenn Oak NSW Shame.

You do the hunters of Australia a dis-service by posting your "story" on the interweb.

"Hit in the right place, usually the chest area results in quick kills as they are soft skinned. Drop the bullet a little low, and they are extremely hard to kill, and become very irate and like any wounded animal become unpredictable, so one has to be very wary when approaching them."

The Code of Practice for the humane shooting of Kangaroos clearly states the following, and I quote

"Point of aim

Conditions
A shooter using a rifle must aim so as to hit the target kangaroo in the brain (see diagram in Schedule 2), except in the case of an injured or wounded animal where a brain shot may be impractical.
A shooter using a shotgun must aim so that, whether the target kangaroo is stationary or mobile, it will be hit in the head, neck or chest by the centre of the pattern."

reference: Code of Practice for the humane shooting of Kangaroos

So the "right place" to hit them is in the head.

I respectfully ask that the board administrator pull this "story".

I agree with Joe & Rumpig,

The posting of these B/S stories by want-a-be tacticool suburban ninja snipers is the very reason gummint authorities have, and want to restrict, and continue to ban, certain items for shooting sports.

Every single mention of sniping game, tactical this & that, and "long range sniping", in the same sentence as hunting, puts another nail in the coffin.

Moderators, PULL THE STORY, NOW!!

Hi Shane,

Dont worry about the naysayers mate - your article is a good one. We cant keep every one happy.

6.5 x 47 is the go for the future.

I agree with Joe & Rumpig,

The posting of these B/S stories by want-a-be tacticool suburban ninja snipers is the very reason gummint authorities have, and want to restrict, and continue to ban, certain items for shooting sports.

Every single mention of sniping game, tactical this & that, and "long range sniping", in the same sentence as hunting, puts another nail in the coffin.

Moderators, PULL THE STORY, NOW!!

Hehe must be tell like it is Monday:D

Hi Shane, Dont worry about the naysayers mate - your article is a good one. We cant keep every one happy. 6.5 x 47 is the go for the future.
Naysayers :confused:

naysayer - definition of naysayer by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. Noun 1. naysayer - someone with an aggressively negative attitude obstructer, obstructionist, obstructor, resister, thwarter - someone who systematically obstructs some action that others want to take technophobe - a person who dislikes or avoids new technology

C'mon mate you're not serious :confused:

I'm all for any legitimate activity. Gut shooting kangaroos or any animal for that matter, is something that should be avoided.

Read the code of practice I linked to in a previous post. The professionals shoot Kangaroos under light so that head shots are achievable.

Hi Shane,

Dont worry about the naysayers mate - your article is a good one. We can't keep everyone happy.

6.5 x 47 is the go for the future.

Absolutely! Next story can you please post full details of how you cheat the taxation department. You might want to invest in a balaklava with a little better coverage though. I'm pretty sure the one you have isn't up to the task.

Failing that, regale us with stories of how you net the rivers and creeks around home.

Wrong, on so many levels.

Good story Shane, dont worry to much about some of the replys from australia, they come from some pro internet forum members who are mainly fuckheads, I tried to get one such fuckhead over to WA last year, I would have paid his airfare as I really wanted to meet him, I even offered him a deep sea fishing trip on my boat, but he didnt come.one on my mates from the boxing gym really liked his story about fishing on a WA charter boat with some "wogs"as he called them, he truly would have been amungst the fishes.

Good story Shane, dont worry to much about some of the replys from australia, they come from some pro internet forum members who are mainly fuckheads, I tried to get one such fuckhead over to WA last year,
Obviously knew what he was getting into! :mad:

I hand load all my own ammunition, and at this stage Lapua is the only one making brass for the caliber, which in my books is fine. I only use 120gn Nosler Ballistics tips with this cartridge, and have it loaded for about 2800fps,

Please tell us FH's, some of who have been reloading and competition shooting out to 1000yds for over 40 years, how to get 2800fps out of a cartridge that is not as fat and 16mm shorter than a 6.5/06??

A great article Shane. Thanks for posting it.

Ignore the knockers too. Anyone who says "Please tell us FH's, some of who have been reloading and competition shooting out to 1000yds for over 40 years, how to get 2800fps out of a cartridge that is not as fat and 16mm shorter than a 6.5/06??" should bring tears of laughter to your eyes. I was able to push along 123s@2990fps and 139s@2850fps in my 6.5x47L.

I must say this story is real box of ammo for the anti gun groups in Aus. I used to shoot roos professionally in Nth Qld and can say that what this guy is doing is totally wrong as stated must be head shot then tagged. All the hoops we had to jump through in Qld to get a licence and tags, followed by the pages of paperwork at the end of each nights shooting makes me dudious in the first place that you can just go and shoot with other peoples tags in NSW. From the fact there are no tags on the roos he is breaking the law and knows it. I can only hope he somehow gets caught and prosecuted.

Moderators...... this story is promoting unlawfull activites and should be removed. It would be like an American writing a story of how he shot an Elk out of season with a spotlight and gettingt it published on here.

Last edited:
I must say this story is real box of ammo for the anti gun groups in Aus. I used to shoot roos professionally in Nth Qld and can say that what this guy is doing is totally wrong as stated must be head shot then tagged. All the hoops we had to jump through in Qld to get a licence and tags, followed by the pages of paperwork at the end of each nights shooting makes me dudious in the first place that you can just go and shoot with other peoples tags in NSW. From the fact there are no tags on the roos he is breaking the law and knows it. I can only hope he somehow gets caught and prosecuted.

Moderators...... this story is promoting unlawfull activites and should be removed. It would be like an American writing a story of how he shot an Elk out of season with a spotlight and gettingt it published on here.

What drivel...completely off the mark and slanderous...

OK, that's enough!! I'll bet none of you whiners knows Shane Morgan...well, I do, all the way from the US. He's a gentlemen, unlike anyone who would make such comments as I've seen here to someone they don't know; he's got a high moral code, which is more than I can say about whiners who are only envious of anyone that can really do what he claims (and Shane can); and as former law enforcement, he follows the law to the letter.

I only read Shane say where NOT to hit roos, not where he's aiming. I read the regulations fully and Shane's practices are within the letter of the law.

All your comments are mitigated by saying he can't get the velocity he claims. As a ballisitician, I can say emphatically you are full of it! If you don't know what a round can do, I suggest you don't expose your ignorance on a forum where there are folks that know how dumb your comments are! You should try hunting sometime to improve your skills rather than spending so much time reading shooting forums and trying to bash someone that has worked hard to provide an interesting and honorable article for you...

You self-righteous guys aren't going to find any friends here. If you feel so strongly about how well you shoot, bring a team over here to the deep south made up of beerjoeyjoe, RumPig, BadAssWallace, Sierra, and gedsar to participate in a little snipe hunting...

What kills me is this last comment from a "professional" kangaroo hunter???? What the hell is that...do you get paid for that? I'm going to apply here for a license to be a professional cow hunter.

What kills me is this last comment from a "professional" kangaroo hunter???? What the hell is that...do you get paid for that? I'm going to apply here for a license to be a professional cow hunter.

I'm avoiding all of this as I don't shoot roos at all and I don't particularly want to (rabbits and foxes are all i'm after) but yes, there are professional roo shooters in Australia that get paid to shoot roos.

I'm not up to speed on the laws & by-laws on this, but rest assured, it is regulated by Government and the professional shooters do make a living from it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.