Long Range Hunting Match

"We used to run those "stress" drills on students. Run the **** out of em, spin their turrets, unload their guns and bring em back to the line to complete a course of fire under time. It's tough, even for the young guys in primo shape."

Sounds like my SWAT comp's in the late 80's & 90's. When I was young and could outrun an antelope.
If'n you can't recover a game animal at 1000 yds uphill, across a canyon with a river in between, maybe you shouldn't be shooting at it.

"We used to run those "stress" drills on students. Run the **** out of em, spin their turrets, unload their guns and bring em back to the line to complete a course of fire under time. It's tough, even for the young guys in primo shape."

Sounds like my SWAT comp's in the late 80's & 90's. When I was young and could outrun an antelope.
If'n you can't recover a game animal at 1000 yds uphill, across a canyon with a river in between, maybe you shouldn't be shooting at it.
Interestingly enough we're talking about setting up an all ages LR Hunting Match not putting everyone through sPeCiAl fOrCeS sWaT sNiPeR cOuRse 🤪

Last edited:
Interestingly enough we're talking about setting up an all ages LR Hunting Match not putting everyone through sPeCiAl fOrCeS sWaT sNiPeR cOuRse 🤪

And I thought this was a hunting forum! 😉 It seems that the competition should at least simulate hunting! High pulse rate, and a degree of fatigue may only require a few minutes of exercise for many of us. Generally there is a large difference between shooting and hunting. Sometimes we can drive to a ridge top, spend a bit of time setting up the shot and wait for an animal. Sometimes, we actually have to work for that shot. A long range hunting competition should should have both scenarios! memtb

Last edited:
I personally think you should allow tripods, that is all I hunt with now, and my pack is lighter than if I were to have a bipod because of it. I ditch the bipod, put an arca rail on my rifle, and use the same tripod I use for glassing as my front rifle rest, take my binos or spotter out, put my rifle in, take the shot. It makes me lighter, and I can take more stable shots from more positions than a guy with a pack or a bipod as a front rest. I know you want to prevent it from becoming a PRS type thing, but your weight limit, power factor, and course layout do that. I will say, I think your max weight should be just a little less. 13-14 lbs max. I like the bracketed power factor also, I would personally use my 9.5 lb .338 Norma mag. With the tripod, it is 12.5 lbs, and an ultra light fill rear bag is only a few more ounces. Part of why I think the max weight should be less, with a light bipod and rear bag, you could easily run a 13.5 lbs rifle, that is significantly heavier than almost every hunting rifle I know of that gets packed very far. Just my thoughts, sounds fun!

Last edited:
I personally think you should allow tripods, that is all I hunt with now, and my pack is lighter than if I were to have a bipod because of it. I ditch the bipod, put an arca rail on my rifle, and use the same tripod I use for glassing as my front rifle rest, take my binos or spotter out, put my rifle in, take the shot. It makes me lighter, and I can take more stable shots from more positions than a guy with a pack or a bipod as a front rest. I know you want to prevent it from becoming a PRS type thing, but your weight limit, power factor, and course layout do that. I will say, I think your max weight should be just a little less. 13-14 lbs max. I like the bracketed power factor also, I would personally use my 9.5 lb .338 Norma mag. With the tripod, it is 12.5 lbs, and an ultra light fill rear bag is only a few more ounces. Part of why I think the max weight should be less, with a light bipod and rear bag, you could easily run a 13.5 lbs rifle, that is significantly heavier than almost every hunting rifle I know of that gets packed very far. Just my thoughts, sounds fun!
Thank you for the input. I think I would allow tripods after hearing your input and input from others. I think dropping the weight to 13-14lbs would help. Thanks for the input!

And I thought this was a hunting forum! 😉 It seems that the competition should at least simulate hunting! High pulse rate, and a degree of fatigue may only require a few minutes of exercise for many of us. Generally there is a large difference between shooting and hunting. Sometimes we can drive to a ridge top, spend a bit of time setting up the shot and wait for an animal. Sometimes, we actually have to work for that shot. A long range hunting competition should should have both scenarios! memtb

I don't disagree with that

I love this idea. Would love to shoot it. Adding multipliers like ppl have said for weight and power factor would help keep the guns diverse I think instead of there becoming one "standard" set up everyone ends up using.

Maybe have 3 categories based off power factor? varmint and hunting, then maybe a magnum hunting? Thinking like the big .300's and .338's. maybe 425,000 and 600,000 being the cut offs for each? 600,000 being basically a 215gr at 2800+

Another thing to thing about is, you gotta find the balance of multiple shots per stage to keep the pace up, but not so many that barrels heat up too much since you are keeping contours down with the weight limit.

Only thing I can say for wieght is this. I shoot a rem 700 LR 7RM. Gun and scope only is 12#+, completely factory stock. I have a 9-13 harris on it now and will be installing a witt clamp on brake when it arrives. I'm sure it will be well over 13 then. "This is my rifle, there are many others like it but this one is mine." I will pack this thing to the ends of the earth if I have to, if I get the chance of a western hunt someday. I would hope there would be a category for those like me. Another question would be since hunting related how about a backpack with say a jacket or something stuffed in it for use as a shooting rest. Many an animal has fell to this setup too. I do understand there has to be limits to prevent it from turning into just another prs deal. Just curious if these 2 things have been considered?

Why worry about weight limits at all. Make it first shot impact counts for say 5 points, 2nd shot impact counts for 1 point. Everyone will bring they're best wind beating rifles they have to make that first shot. There won't be any advantage to a 22lb 6br in that style of competition. Give them 2 min to setup, range and fire on target. Just my opinion, but I have a prs rig and if the match was set appropriately with 1 shot counting the most, I'd bring my 7rm. And make it that you have to carry ur gear, no carts and crap, that helps on weight lol

Why worry about weight limits at all. Make it first shot impact counts for say 5 points, 2nd shot impact counts for 1 point. Everyone will bring they're best wind beating rifles they have to make that first shot. There won't be any advantage to a 22lb 6br in that style of competition. Give them 2 min to setup, range and fire on target. Just my opinion, but I have a prs rig and if the match was set appropriately with 1 shot counting the most, I'd bring my 7rm. And make it that you have to carry ur gear, no carts and crap, that helps on weight lol
Short ranges you get 1 shot-- all or nothing score. Longer ranges you get a second shot. The rational is if you miss at close range the animal won't give you a second chance; at longer ranges they might.