Long Range Hunting Checklist

NHGriff

I've been searching around for a thread on this topic but unable to find anything. I'd like to begin a checklist for either a new hunter or even experienced hunters that often get to the field and slap their forehead when they forget something. I'll start and then edit this first post with your additions.

1) Rifle, with sling
2) Rangefinder
3) Ammunition
4) Shooting sticks
5) Minimum 10X Bino's
6) 20X - 30X Spotting Scope
7) Field dress kit including knife and drag rope.
8) Ballistic Chart
9) Bipod or shooting sticks
10) Hunting License
11) Pen to sign tag and method to attach tag can be in field dress kit.
12) Backpack to carry all of the gear.
13) Batteries
14) GPS or Compass
15) Radios
16) Flashlight and batteries
17) First aid kit

Last edited:
First things that come to mind are:
-good pack
-binos, spotting scope
-field dress kit

the list can go on and on and on....

Gene

I would add:

Ballistic chart or PDA, whichever is used
Notepad/data book and pen or pencil, maybe even a small calculator
Bipod, back pack or lightweight bags for shooting prone.
Wind Meter
Extra batteries for rangefinder and windmeter
Two way radios for talking someone to the downed target
Extra batteries for radios
Spotting scope and tripod
Binoculars
Knive
Hunting Liscenses/Permits
Toilet Paper/Paper Towel
Water/Food
Compass/GPS and extra batteries for it too.
Hearing Protection if a muzzle brake is used.
Rainy weather clothing
Rope or twine

There's probably some things I am forgetting.

Thanks Gene...I've edited the first post. I don't want to get into a long thread here about best binos or spotting scopes...but can you tell me what power of each you use?

I'm leaving for Kansas for a whitetail hunt and I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need and I'm planning it all out now.

I use 10X swaro binos and a 20X Kowa spotting scope. I've been wanting to upgrade the eyepiece on the kowa to 27X. 20X is nice for scanning but to low for serious viewing at long range.

Gene

ps: The best thing is to look through different optics and choose what works well for YOU. Mostly you do get what you pay for but there are some less expensive options that are a real bargain.

I would also add a rifle cleaning kit, at very least a bore snake or compact portable system like the Otis..............just in case you get caught out in a down pour or accidentally stick your muzzle in the dirt/mud, or get dirt/mud in the action.

Tire Chains and tighteners for vehicle..........depending on area you hunt, but in some areas they are a must if it rains or snows.

For shooting from a hide just keep stuffing stuff in until you get to about 40 pounds.:rolleyes:
For Shooting: After rifle, bipod, scope cover, rifle cover, ziess lens wipes are packed.
Range chart
Compass for wind value calcs
Crystal Light container with pens, paper, sharpies, fish scale
Range record book
Fanny pack that carries all range stuff, rear bags, range finder, range book etc. (Just in case boredom sets in and you decide to take a stroll.)
Surveyors tape for wind flags

Optics:
Range finder
Binos (10x50)
Spotting scope
Camera w/video capability
Digicam adapter

Comfort:
Shooting mat/drag bag
Canopy for shooting mat - for shade
Bivey if rain or snow potential
A good book:)

For team work a spotter works well. Plus the spotter can carry most of the stuff.:)

and on and on and on!

Add a good flashlight, extra bulb and extra batts for it too.

For multiple tags, animals or elk.............sharpening stone or extra knive, possibly a bone saw too.

Last edited:
I have seen a few guys with ruggedized PDAs. This might be useful for ballistics software and GPS functionality. Can anyone else suggest more uses?

Good list.
A must have is a First Aid Kit. Just in case.
A set of tools to work with your scope in case it gets out of zero in the trip there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.