Long Range Hunting Checklist

I love this post. Lets be realistic, every tool in your garage, plus winch, spare tires, more than one. Horses, saddles, horse shoeing tools, leather working tools, horse feed. Nails toilet seat, toilet paper, generator, gas, quads, tent/camper/portable cabin etc. Stove, pots, pans, cutlery, cups, bowls, tarps, staple gun, staples, cards, cribbage board, hunting magazines, light bulbs, car batteries, propane tanks (also more than one, oh, and make sure they are full). Chain saw, axes (more than one), flash lights, my wife just walked in, have to go more to come. Oh by the way I elk hunt in B.C Canada and yes our camp has all this stuff.

Bolt for rifle, don't ask me how I know.

I also like to take a spare rifle, at least to camp, and ammo for both in 2 separate containers per gun. Had a friend who lost all his ammunition one trip from a buddy-lock container on his pack. He shot a different caliber than everyone else so he spent his time complaining and feeding bits of his sandwich to ants until he got a chance to go to town for factory ammo. We were both in college and couldn't afford spare rifles yet.

This is a great Post
Plus one for a spare rifle.

Also, I like to have maps of the area I plan to hunt. I use BLM topos showing surface ownership, and somemtimes even use the more detailed USGS topo maps.

I like the bolt for rifle! I lost one once while elk hunting in Grizzly country. My dad dropped a huge bull in the morning. During that hunt we pushed out a sow and her 2 cubs. We decided to go to main camp, eat a big lunch, then my father and I were going to hike back to skin and quarter. We decided to only take one rifle (mine), so we could carry more gear. We skinned till dark, then headed back up the mountain to our spike camp so we could get an early start the next morning. On the way up the mountain we crawled through some alder bush. My rifle got snagged so I gave it a tug and continued on. When we were almost at the spike camp, my dad said I better put a round in the chamber in case the grizzly were in our camp. I grabbed the rifle to chamber a round, reached down, and nothing, the bolt was gone. This was off of a Sako 7mm rem mag. We built the biggest camp fire I ever saw, and I don't think either one of us slept a wink that night. Probably a once in a million accident, but it cost me $350 for a new bolt plus shipping both ways and insurance.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts